Client Wants An Ugly Cake

Business By kendra_83 Updated 16 Jan 2013 , 11:46pm by howsweet

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 12:39am
post #1 of 6

AHow do you respond when a prospective client sends you pictures of several REALLY bad cakes, but cakes that require tremendous amounts of work (i.e. sculpted animal figures, etc.) as well as a photo of a four-tier cake (that only needs to serve 30, mind you) and wants you to replicate them exactly?  I really hate to copy someone's exact work, especially if I know I could make them a better quality cake that they would be happier with, even if I did find the original designer and was able to credit them. I personally don't want to waste my time on any work that I can't be proud of. How do I word this without sounding like a complete witch?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 1:23am
post #2 of 6

The 1st thing you do is inform them that you DO NOT reprecate anyone  else's work exactly.  You can tell them you will make it simular but not exact :) Tell them  exactly what you said here: ........ I could make them a better quality cake that they would be happier with.............

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.   I've done a few designs that I *HATED!* but the customer seemed very happy with.  I just don't  put them in my photo book.  If the customer still wants you do to something simular, then you make sure you make it as nice as you can.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

We can't replicate a cake design, seriously? Every cake in the world must be a unique one of kind design?

When a customer sends me a pic of a pitiful looking cake, she has already seen my website and wants me to make it look better and/or improve on it, which I do. Once in a while a customer has designed her own cake. Unless I think it's going to be horrible, I follow the design to the letter. It always come out looking better than i expected and the customer is delighted to see her vision carried out.

lorraine41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorraine41 Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 1:35am
post #4 of 6

Don't be afraid to make suggestions.  Sometimes they just don't know any better.  If they still want the original design, then it's up to you.  I had that happen to me recently,  fortunately, I was able to show her how I could improve the design and she loved it.  I just didn't want something ugly going out with my name on it.  I understand your position. Good Luck

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 1:49am
post #5 of 6

I think "you can't replicate it exactly" just means that you personally are going to ahve a slightly different style and it won't look exactly the same. I think...There's no copyright on cakes, regardless.

If the cake is unrealistic serving-wise, just explain that it's too much for what they need, but quote them the price for it anyway. They might want the look and would pay for it, but probably not. As long as you're educating them about it that's all you have to do. And if you just don't like the design, give them some suggestions to change it, but don't argue if they insist. You can either make the cake or not, but the money spends the same whether you like the design or not. You can always say that you won't do it if you think it's truly hideous, but like Kakeladi, I've done some cakes that I thought were hideous but the client LOVED them. Who cares, just don't put the photo in your portfolio.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 6

Ohhhh, I see :lol:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%