Gum Paste Flowers On Bc Cake

Baking By texascakebaker Updated 15 Jan 2013 , 11:49pm by texascakebaker

texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 4

I need some advice about putting gum paste flowers on a buttercream sheet cake. I did a quick google search and found some say it's okay, and others say don't do it. I have to complete the cake about 6 hours in advance (or the night before ideally). Should I put the gum paste flowers directly on the cake or put them in some fondant covered foam? The flowers are on wires and they will not be standing straight up...more like a bouquet that kinda lays down...Maybe this is a horrible idea, but I am trying to avoid having to make a bunch of RI flowers...it's a half sheet cake.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 4

AI normally put gumpaste flowers on buttercream frosted cakes with no problems so far. I have even made a sheet cake and layed the gumpaste calla lilies on top, with no problem. I typically make my flowers on wooden skewers or tooth picks. I have made them on wires and just put the part in coffee stirers or straws (with RI in them) into the cake, still never had a problem. Matter of fact, once the cakes were complete they go into a really cold refrig until I take it to a friend or family member. I realy hopes this helps. Best Wishes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 4

gp flowers on a bc cake works fine.  I've done it for more than a decade.

texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 4

Excellent! Thank you both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%