Order History/database Suggestions

Business By MomMadeIt Updated 15 Jan 2013 , 5:38am by texascakebaker

MomMadeIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomMadeIt Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 1:34am
post #1 of 3

I have a small home baking business.  I am looking for a simple, inexpensive database option that will enable me to input orders, look up history, maybe add photos of cakes and generate reports.  Anyone have anything they use and like?

I just took the online tour of CakeBoss.  It has everything I am looking for, but not sure about the cost. 

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 2:45am
post #2 of 3

AYou're not going to find anything less expensive than $150 that will meet your requirements.

texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 5:38am
post #3 of 3

I got CakeBoss for Christmas this year. It's awesome. You can try to do cost calculations, receipts, and reports through Excel, but it's just not as easy.

The invoices are nice though they are somewhat set in stone as far as the format/font/font size goes...This is only a minor complaint. The order history is there, and all your customer information including telephone numbers/birthdays is right there, too. Plus, you can add personal notes to each customer to remember what they did or did not like.  You can add pictures to each order as well. Calculating prices is so simple once you enter all the costs for ingredients and materials (like boxes and such); you can easily figure a quote for an inquiring customer. 

You may have already looked at the videos for CakeBoss, but if you haven't, check those out on their website. The shopping list feature in and of itself is pretty amazing. No more adding up the flour for all the recipes you are going to make! It does that for you. I even input some recipes that I am using just for my family (and not selling) just for the ease of printing a shopping list!

Plus, the reports are amazing. They will summarize the gross profit on all your cakes in a given time period. Then, you can add other expenses in another area and print a report for those. I include the ingredients and boxes and boards in the actual order cost, and then I put other expenses like books, classes, tools, pans, and cookie cutters in the expenses section. Then when tax time comes around, all you have to do is print the reports! It's very nice!

The software is engineered for ease of use, and the videos are excellent resources when setting everything up.

From my experience, the customer service is top-notch as well!

It does take a while to get things going because you have to enter prices for each ingredient and material you use, but once you do, you're good to go!

In case you can't tell, I'm a big fan! icon_biggrin.gif I literally spent hours over the Christmas holidays just tinkering with the software in complete awe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%