Royal Icing For Fake Cupcakes?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 14 Jan 2013 , 7:22pm by CWR41

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:59am
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone!

I have been tasked with making some display cupcakes at a new location for a bakery. I want them to look as real as possible but I dont want to get permaice.

Would I be able to use Royal icing? If they are in the window display will they melt in the sun?

Any help would be great!

TIA!

6 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:28am
post #2 of 7

Royal melts from moisture, not from sun or it's heat. But you've got other issues that will ruin things......the sun is the worst problem.

The sun is o.k. on royal, but you can't use any food colors in it, all the color will bleach out from the sun. At the most you might get 1 month out of the color before it fades. Royal make from real egg whites might turn yellow instead of a bright white as it bleaches out, so instant meringue will give you a better white.

You could also try make the frosting part out of fondant/gumpaste, but it will fade in color also.

On top of the frosting issues, you need to use styrofoam as your cupcakes because real cupcakes can shrivel as they harden.

Really the only thing that is going to hold up is using the permaice over styro.. I don't know where you'll find fake cupcake styro's that fit nicely into liners/wrappers. You'll have to use cupcake wraps instead of liners and hand bevel the sides. I do think I might have seen large cupcake styro dummies......but I don't recall where.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:16am
post #3 of 7

Hi, i use great stuff insulating foam sealant for my fake cupcakes. I have some that i made several years ago, iced with royal icing. Not been in a window or anything. I use fondant for the icing also. When they fade, you could just spray color the again or just redo the icing.  the fake cupcake is still there as is. hth

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101 

Hi, i use great stuff insulating foam sealant for my fake cupcakes.

Wow, you pipe that into cupcake liners instead of styrofoam? That's a cool idea!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 7

Just seen this again, yes, i learned this by teaching wilton and that is one way they show and that is the way i love to do it. I line the cupcakes in the pans(i save these 2 pans(12 openings) for just this. I spray the great stuff as it says on the can into the liners just a little more than half full. then stop and let them set overnite and they swell up and look like cupcakes. i took some to ices convention last summer , used fondant for covering and decorations(halloween) wish i has posted the pic here. i will soon. I do this at michaels for demos all the time. I box them and can use them again and again, Might have to refresh the decos . thats all. hth

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 7

I have heard spackle works, anyone try this?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofgrace 

I have heard spackle works, anyone try this?

Spackle works as icing.

By the way, Great Stuff is a one-time shot... Labelled as one time use should be expected, as it can seal itself shut.  If you don't use it all, most likely, the nozzle will fail for future use unless you're able to keep it cleaned out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%