I am looking for a scratch apple spice cake recipe. It needs to be suitable for a wedding cake, so something with a tighter crumb that won't crumble when it's cut. Most of the recipes I've seen are the more rustic ones that are kind of on the chunkier side, with raisins and such. I wasn't planning on adding raisins or any extras-just plain apple spice. Any recipe suggestions would be appreciated.
I use this recipe all the time, it's very moist but very few crumbs come out when its cut.
APPLE SPICE CAKE
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 medium sized granny smith apples [cut into chunks about the size of a dime]
1/2 cups plain apple sauce
1/4 cups milk
1 stick unsalted butter [softened]
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cut and chunk apples coat them in a tbsp. of the flour.
3. Mix rest of dry ingredients and set aside.
4. Cream together eggs and sugar.
5. Beat in butter, milk and applesauce into egg sugar mixture.
6. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients before folding in flour coated apple chunks.
7. Grease the pan and pour mixture into pan.
8. Place into oven and bake checking around the 25 mins mark depending on your pan size. If using a loaf pan it will take up to about 80 mins. But since you said you want it for a wedding cake I would check it at the 25mins mark then the 35 mins. mark until a toothpick is inserted an comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Hope this helps :)
Thanks for sharing that. What size pan is this for?