Help!! Ruffle Cake

Lounge By tinstarr Updated 14 Jan 2013 , 2:55am by the_sweets_lady

tinstarr Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 6

im pretty new at cake decorating and have been asked to do a ruffle ombre style cake

any suggestions on how to do this. Is it just made of fondant? or is it fondant and modeling chocolate? if so how do i do that? LOL maybe this is too much for me.

Thanks foe your help

5 replies
remnant3333 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

With the background of that picture it's hard to see the cake. Looks like it might be fondant but I am sure others here with more experience can tell you better than me.

You have two options for making ruffle cakes either with fondant or butter cream using the rose petal decorator tip. I think the picture you have is made with fondant ruffles but not sure!!! Doing the buttercream with the tip is super easy especially for beginners.

mskerrih Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 6

AShe has a tutorial on crafty tht shows exactly how to do it. It's great

tinstarr Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:08am
post #4 of 6

it has more of a straight edge. so would i just cut strips and roll it really thin and not ruffle the edge? here's a better picture.  Thanks for the help

tinstarr Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:17am
post #5 of 6

it has a straight edge, so would i just cut strips a roll it really thin? its a maggie austin cake. if that helps

the_sweets_lady Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:55am
post #6 of 6

Go to Craftsy. Maggie is now offering a class showing you how to create that look. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%