Fake Cake Fondant

Decorating By AnnaLorena1 Updated 16 Jan 2013 , 8:22pm by fcakes

AnnaLorena1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaLorena1 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 12

What's is the most economical fondant to be used with fake cakes? - for a one time use--

I'm getting Satin Ice/White/Vanilla.  Is that the correct one?

11 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 12

AWilton is cheaper, especially with a 40% off coupon at Joann or michaels.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 12

When Michael's puts out a 50% off coupon, I stock up on 5 pound boxes of Wilton fondant.  It's perfect for dummies: it's cheap, it dries rock hard without adding Tylose, and it's easy to work with.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 12

I use the exact same fondant I use on my regular cakes.  

I decorate my display cakes with best foot forward, no short cuts.  I want them to be a total representation in look, smell and texture of the work someone could expect from me when they order a real cake.

Even when I was practicing my fondant when I first started, I never used the cheap stuff.  It's much harder to work with, so why make it even harder doing something I wasn't very good at yet?

Just a thought.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 12

I always use W fondant on dummy cakes.  I think its very easy to work with and as others has mentioned, with the coupons it's cheap.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 12

I'm with the majority--Wilton for "dummies" all the way. 

It's extremely cheap when you use the 40-50% off coupons, it takes color very well, and it's super easy to work with--and once on the cake, it smell wonderful. 

You can even pump up the aroma by adding in a bit of concentrated LorAnn oils.

Rae

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 1:29am
post #7 of 12

I use my homemade marshmallow fondant.  Talk about economical!

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:00am
post #8 of 12

AIs the Wilton fondant cheaper than making your own MMF? I use MMF to cover dummies and real cakes

cakeladycj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladycj Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:47am
post #9 of 12

ACan I have your recipe for fondant, I've never know anyone courageous enough to make their own. You are awesome.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 2:47am
post #10 of 12

Well, I consider my time very valuable. 

I personally find that making a large quantity of fondant--along with the prep, associated clean up, and sometimes less than consistent results--to be a huge time sucker.  With a 50% off coupon, my Wilton costs me $2.00/lb.--that alone is well worth not having to clean up.  Given that in my area, PS is about .80/lb, marshmallows run about $1.00/bag (on sale), not to mention vanilla & crisco, electricity, water, dish soap.......

I also know that out of the package, the results will always be the same.

JMHO

Rae

BCWishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCWishes Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 12

AI make my own MMF as well. But I have found that my stand mixer with the dough hook gives it a great start. It works so well with me! Much better than Wilton fondant!

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 16 Jan 2013 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 12

AThanks Rae! I'll look into the pricing to see if buying turns out more economical. I use the KA mixer to start off too. Cakeladycj, I melt 20 oz of marshmallows with 5 tbsp water in the microwave. Add half bag of a 2 lb bag of PS, add melted marshmallows and add more PS as necessary. Dump it on my plastic mat, knead more PS if needed, wrap and set aside overnight :) HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%