Proofread My Website Please?

Business By silverdragon997 Updated 15 Jan 2013 , 9:21am by mcaulir

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 4:20am
post #1 of 18

I just finished my new website.  Would some of you all be kind enough to look through it for me?  I've been staring at it for 2 days now, so I know what things are supposed to say, and can't see the typo's and such anymore!  Any comments and criticisms are welcome.

http://www.cheekymonkeybakery.com/

Thanks!

17 replies
nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 4:35am
post #2 of 18

Under your gallery you custom cookies start at 2.00 the cookies is missing the i.

The site looks good!

silverdragon997 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 4:51am
post #3 of 18

Thanks nikki.  I added in the "i" on the gallery pages.  :)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 6:20am
post #4 of 18

AFrom a web design perspective you may want to scale down the header (especially on pages other than the home page) and buttons, and make the entire site scale to smaller screens. When you reduce the size of the browser window it cuts off content.

The site also makes it difficult to find information customers will be looking for. For example, to find out the price of your cakes and what flavors you have a customer needs to click the small "our goodies" link, then "cakes", then "round cakes", and the resulting list makes it tough to see your flavors at a glance. The order form could also be streamlined. I recommend running several usability tests with friends or family members and incorporating their feedback into a redesign.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 6:27am
post #5 of 18

On your FAQ page:

WHAT SIZE ARE YOUR COOKIES?

our cookies are usually about

Capital letter missing

WHAT IF I MISS MY DELIVERY?

'Cooler' has an extra i in it.

CAN YOU ACCOMODATE MY DIETARY RESTRICTIONS

'accommodate' has two 'm's

On the contact us page:

By appointment only. Should be lowercase a and o.

That's all I could find.

mcaulir Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 6:28am
post #6 of 18

Oh, I agree with jason that there was a few too many clicks to get to your actual cakes.

Also, I couldn't work out how to order different sizes of cakes through your order form.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 18

I found a few errors.

littler zippier

little zippier

freshest locally produced ingredients

freshest locally-produced ingredients

nuts, gluten and dairy

nuts, gluten, and dairy

Old fashioned cookies

Old-fashioned cookies

Gooey Butter Cookies and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies:

Choose from vanilla, chocolate or lemon.

Choose from vanilla, chocolate, or lemon.

crushed chocolate covered pretzels

crushed chocolate-covered pretzels

S'mores Bars:

Chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows

Chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows

Cake Pops -- doesn't have period (.) after "/dz" where others do.

gallery button doesn't work for me... access through "home" only.

RedInLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedInLove Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:33am
post #8 of 18

On the home page in the bottom left hand corner, and likely on all of your pages, I would suggest using a colon after the word Hours.

Hours: By Appointment Only

Under cookies, both your Gooey Butter Cookie and your White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies have the same description under the name of the cookie. Both are described to be cake-like cookies with gooey centers, and in 3 flavors. I suspect this particular description would only apply to the Gooey Butter Cookie?

Cupcake page: I believe the correct punctuation for your Chocolate Cupcake should be 'serious chocolate lovers' cupcake' instead of the apostrophe-s. Or perhaps no apostrophe at all? I could check with my best friend tomorrow, she is an English teacher.

When I was on the Our Goodies page, the Custom Cakes link directed to the Our Goodies page.  While still on the Our Goodies page, the links for Gallery and How It Sorks links also directed to the Our Goodies page. So I went to the Our Story page, and the Custom Cakes and Gallery links directed to the Our Story page, and the How It Works link, worked just fine here. When on the How It Works page, the Custom Cakes link works correctly but the Gallery link doesn't. Because I love to look at pictures, I tried to access the Gallery page from most of the pages I clicked back on to, and it didn't seem to work at all. SO, I would suggest double checking all your links page by page to be sure they all work.

It looks great! I hope your new website brings you new business and success!

Ellen

RedInLove Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:34am
post #9 of 18

Oh, the big square Gallery link on your homepage works. It is the little link just below your logo that I've been talking about. And with that I'm off to browse your lovely gallery! :)

Ellen

ETA: My first post is being reviewed because it's my very first post. This one made it through right away! LOL!

silverdragon997 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 5:11am
post #10 of 18

Thanks guys for all of the insight and for pointing out the grammatical errors.  Exactly what I was looking for!  I'm working on fixing some things and rearranging some things now.  

Thanks again!

mcaulir Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 11:28am
post #11 of 18

I think "serious chocolate lover's cupcake" is fine. It's referring to you if you are a serious chocolate lover, then the cupcake belongs to you.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 18

AI think you need to reword your order info. Cake won't be delivered until payment is made will allow people to order cakes, you make them, they don't pick them up. Under the gallery...first line, take out the word even. It is unnecessary and does not allow the sentence flow well. Also, I would switch up the arrangement of the cakes. Put some of the more wedding, elegant cakes on the front.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 18

AThe gallery tab isn't working when I click on it. Also I think that it would be nice to have actual photos of all the cake/frosting favors rather than using the same one for all the non-chocolate/vanilla ones.

silverdragon997 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

The gallery tab isn't working when I click on it. Also I think that it would be nice to have actual photos of all the cake/frosting favors rather than using the same one for all the non-chocolate/vanilla ones.

I intend to have actual photos of all the cake flavors at some point, but I don't actually have photos of any of my cake flavors yet, so I just have a fill in thing in place.  I put a note over it saying "image coming soon".

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71 

I think you need to reword your order info. Cake won't be delivered until payment is made will allow people to order cakes, you make them, they don't pick them up.

Agree.

silverdragon997 Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 18

Ok, I just uploaded a revised version.  I made the cakes page much more condensed and combined the cookies and treats into one page.  I don't have any descriptions for any of my products now, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I may have to go back in and add short descriptions.

RedInLove Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 11:31pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir 

I think "serious chocolate lover's cupcake" is fine. It's referring to you if you are a serious chocolate lover, then the cupcake belongs to you.

I heard back from my bestie, and she said it depends on whether we have a singular lover or plural lovers. A singular possessive would be Lover's Cupcake, while the plural possessive would be Lovers' Cupcake. So I guess either one would work just fine. Of course, I do hope your cupcakes draw plural chocolate lovers! icon_biggrin.gif

mcaulir Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 9:21am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedInLove 

I heard back from my bestie, and she said it depends on whether we have a singular lover or plural lovers. A singular possessive would be Lover's Cupcake, while the plural possessive would be Lovers' Cupcake. So I guess either one would work just fine. Of course, I do hope your cupcakes draw plural chocolate lovers! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, those are correct uses of apostrophes. However, in this case, the website is referring to "a serious chocolate lover", or "the serious chocolate lover (I couldn't find it on the page again, sorry). Both are singular, so the apostrophe should be before the 's' in either case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%