Need To Make A Tank Cake Move

Decorating By Sweetly Wild Updated 13 Jan 2013 , 4:54am by Ursula40

Sweetly Wild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetly Wild Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am making an Abrams Tank cake for my son's birthday and I need to make the turret turn and shoot sparks (I am ambitious, I know).  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I know I need a remote control turntable mechanism, but I am coming up empty during my searches.

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 6

For the turning turret part, you need to scrounge an old record player and take out only the driving mechanism.  Then you need to wire a control box that will have to be carried in with the cake.  The batteries can sit inside the turret. Back and forth means a double switch (forward/reverse polarity) instead of a single switch.

But to shoot sparks, you need a whole lot more hardware.  You need to find yourself a piezoelectric barbecue starter and find a safe way to switch that.  It will shoot sparks for a limited time before it needs to be recharged so do your testing well in advance.

OK so find an electronics geek who understands these terms and you are in business.  Otherwise you will have to use a lit sparkler in the muzzle of the gun with a fixed turret.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 6

A«°~°»*****yikes!! Ummm yeah good luck sorry cant help

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 6

AWait maybe you can go to a hobby store that makes or carries miniature train stuff...maybe you could find a small motor there to move the turrent around..just a thought

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

and for what it's worth--i've only had one cake with parts that moved on purpose icon_lol.gif  (notice there's no picture attached  icon_biggrin.gif )

and the only fire on my cakes have been candles

but

get a heavier duty motor than you think you might need--so often on the cake shows the motors fizzle out on them because of the underestimated weight

just a random observation--food mechanics for thought

oh i got one more

can you get some gentle fireworks??? and proceed with extreme caution of course

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 4:54am
post #6 of 6

with small kids around, I'd keep away from open flames, they could get too excited

How about inserting a flickering red LED light into the turret, no danger with that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%