Texas Weather!! High Humidity And Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By sweetheaven2829 Updated 23 Mar 2013 , 3:27am by er0ica

sweetheaven2829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheaven2829 Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 15

I really need some help my buttercream is not crusting, not for sure if it is due to the humitdity here in tx right now. can any one please help. have a wedding cake for a friend due on sunday and the last two cakes in the last two days have not crusted at all

please help

14 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 15

AWhat recipe are you using? I have read on here that crusting Bc is the sugar with shortening or whatever you are using ratio. So are you using enough sugar? Plus I have read here that butter or sweetx z are sensitive to hotter weather...but I thought thats if its like 90 degrees or hotter out. Hmm again I ask what is your recipe, knowing that would make it easier to figure out the problem

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 15

i can't remember having this problem--there are folks more expert than me on this but an idea in the meantime is just test a dollop of your icing with some cornstarch in it say a 1/3 cup icing and a tablespoon of cornstarch or whatever--mix it up real good and see if it starts to crust for you--maybe add a bit more even

hey i remember--there's a high humidity american icing that actually takes flour--i used to get wondra flour --it's super fine and does not require sifting --it does not lump=

but the good thing about cornstarch is that it doesn't require sifting--love that

some people i know recommend adding meringue powder but cornstarch is cheaper & should help

sweetheaven2829 Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 15

1/2 cup butter,1 cup crisco, 2tbl spoons milk, clear buter flavor, and about 4  to 5 cups of surgar, and 2 tlb spoon margerine power.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 15

i got a bunch of recipes by googling 'high humidity icing recipe'

sweetheaven2829 Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 15

thank will look right now

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 15

i don't know i use one cup of fat to seven cups of sugar in the first place

there's not much there to hold up all that fat

just my opinion

so if it was me i'd up the sugar at least

i'd still check out high humidity formulas & do some scrambling there

you'll be fine--just take a deep breath and get a cup of coffee--peruse the recipes

formulate a plan

do a little testing --garner the results

work your plan

you'll be fine!

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 15

plus those trans fat shortenings were sturdier than present day shortening without those little bad boys!!!

i think that might be a big factor?

kazita Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 15

AI'm thinking thats not near enough sugar. My recipe is close to that but instead of using butter I use 2 cups high ratio shortening. With that I use 2 pounds or 8 cups sugar, so you need more sugar ,than you would have to add more milk so that its not so stiff that you cant use it.

kazita Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 15

AK8memphis is right reading the googled recipes you add 2tablespoons if cornstarch, but you still dont have enough sugar in your recipe . With the amount of butter and shortening you need at least 2 pounds or 8 cups sugar

kazita Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 15

AK8memphis they have high ratio shortening ( high trans fat ) on the market , you have to buy it from a cake store or a speciality store or online . I discovered it at the cake store that I buy my supplies at, now I wouldnt make my Bc without it, it makes my Bc so light a creamy

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 15

thank you, kazita!!! very good to know

sweetheaven2829 Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you, you guys i was worried it was not enough sugar, and I will use the cornstartch for sure, I just had the bday cake due today fall apart on me, but was able to get it back together just intime so I think I will take that deep breath and cup of coffee now. :)

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 6:57pm
post #14 of 15

I am in the Dallas area nd the humidity today has been horrible but I have had no problem with crusting - thank goodness!  If you are in the DFW area, no worries - a cold front is coming in tonight so the humidity should be gone later this afternoon.  Are you decorating it today or tomorrow?

er0ica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
er0ica Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 3:27am
post #15 of 15

I live in Florida and crank up the AC when I'm having crusting issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%