Make A 4-5" Deep Fruit Cake?

Decorating By rjeffery Updated 12 Jan 2013 , 8:16pm by -K8memphis

rjeffery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjeffery Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 7

AHi, first time on a forum but really need some advise so thought I'd start on here.

I have a bride who wants deep tiers on a 6 tier cake and one is fruit, the 12" inch. I wouldn't have thought you could make it deeper than 3" and joining two would look odd when its cut, any suggestions? I was thinking of putting it on two drum boards rather than a thin and icing over?

Really need help!

6 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 7

Well if the finished tier needs to be 4.5" then the cake needs only to be 4" deep. Put a slightly thicker layer of marzipan on the top and it will be high enough after you add sugarpaste or final icing.

Line the inside of your baking pan with corrugated cardboard cut 6" deep, then with greaseproof or greased paper as usual.  You can then bake the 4" deep cake and the liner keeps the edges from baking too fast.

Your other option is to bake two layers 2" deep and sandwich with boiled apricot jam. The jam blends with the cake after a day or so and it doesn't look "layered". Run solid dowels through the whole thing to avoid shakiness over or under this tier.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 7

if you use your idea, rjeffry--charge her for the extra servings!

it's not at all odd to do this--to stack two 12" cakes up with a board in between to make a taller tier-- it's done all the time

no worries

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
it's not at all odd to do this--to stack two 12" cakes up with a board in between to make a taller tier-- it's done all the time

fruitcake is normally a single solid cake, thats what people who are used to fruit cakes, expect.

I bake 4" high fruit cakes all the time, it bakes longer and I cover the top with foil after a while to prevent the top from going too brown, but it comes out perfecty every time.

Also keep in mind that the fruit cake will have a layer of fondant and one of marzipan. If your sponge cakes will only have a layer of fondant, remember to compensate for the marzipan thickness. I once did a cake where the fruitcake came out taller that the rest because of this. No-one else really noticed, but I knew :)

The alternative is to do a double board to get the look right.

rjeffery Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 7

AThanks for the replies, I was worried to bake it Deere than 3" but it sounds like 4" would be fine. And the cardboard to insulate is a great idea, thanks bakingirene.

I'm going to bake all layers 4" and double Ice the sponge layers, I've done a few wedding cakes but mostly birthday cakes which are made to look like some else, a flower box etc and I find that I need a second layer on wedding cakes to get a high end finish :-( otherwise I can see the line where the buttercream is. People always say its not noticeable but I can see its there.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 7

yes of course cakechick i agree

i just meant double stacking the same size tiers into what looks like one extra tall tier is done a lot

the same as a 10" and 12" two tier design

can be two twelves stacked to look like one tier

then it just serves as two tiers but it is two one layer fruitcakes each on their own board served exactly like you said

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%