Buttercream For A Wedding Cake

Baking By JamieMarie25 Updated 14 Jan 2013 , 5:51pm by josilind

JamieMarie25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieMarie25 Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:56am
post #1 of 7

AI have a couple cakes coming up and they want frosting instead of fondant. What is a good one that will look great, taste good and not melt???

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:48am
post #2 of 7

Here is one I used for years.

2 of everything

2 cups of shortening (Crisco)

2 cups butter (or margarine)

2 Tablespoons flavoring

2 pounds powdered sugar

Cream together Crisco & butter until very smooth - about 3 to 5 minutes.  Add about 1/3 of the sugar; mix for 5 minutes; add another 1/3 of the sugar and the flavoring, cream another 5 minutes; then add the rest of the sugar, creaming another 5  to 10 minutes until very smooth.

Flavoring can be any combination of flavors you (& your clients) like.  I have always used a 1 part vanilla; 1/2 part butter flavor & 1/4 part almond.

josilind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josilind Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 7

I was looking for another buttercream crusting icing, so, you dont have to add water in this recipe?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 7

AYou need to add liquid to thin to the consistency you need.

josilind Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 12:06am
post #5 of 7

Oh ok!, I am just eager to try a new recipe and was wondering if the flavors would be enough liquid for the recipe. I was just asking to make sure, thank u for responding

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 1:34am
post #6 of 7

.......... buttercream crusting icing, so, you dont have to add water in this recipe?..........

As posted the "2 of everything" does NOT curst.  And yes, there is NO water or other liquid needed.

If you want it to crust just reduce *either* the shortening OR the butter by 1 cup.  OR you can reduce each by 1/2 cup.  It still will be a very good tasting b'cream :)

josilind Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 7

ok ! thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%