Fondx Vs Satin Ice

Decorating By katboss Updated 8 Nov 2014 , 1:12am by alyssaserce88

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 3:40am
post #1 of 6

Hi all, just a question about the taste and work-ability of these two brands of fondant.. I use satin ice and the flavor is good but just found a place that sells the fondx and it is sooo much cheaper, have any of you used Fondx and if so how does it compare to Satin Ice regarding taste and ease to work with. 

TIA

5 replies
manomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manomi Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:08am
post #2 of 6

I use FondX and fine it much better than Satin Ice which gives me horrible elephant skin... However for me, FondX is more expensive than Satin Ice... Where did you find cheaper prices of fondant if you don't mind sharing?

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 6

sweetwise has it cheaper than where i buy satin ice

satinice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satinice Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 6

Hi Manomi,

If you are having any issues with Satin Ice Fondant giving you "Elephant Skin," please try these tips:

There are different causes of ‘elephant skin.’ Some brands of food coloring can cause the fondant to crack and take on this appearance. We recommend gel pastes in the AmeriColor or Chef Master brands.

The addition of shortening to Satin Ice will cause the gums to break down and cause ‘elephant skin’ as well.  While using a tiny bit of Crisco is fine for rolling out on or on your rolling pin, adding it to Satin Ice will alter the product.

Your Satin Ice may have been left out too long and has begun to dry out. Be sure to knead very well and keep out only the portions you are working with. The remainder of your fondant should be sealed in its bag with the pail lid closed tightly. Any air that is allowed to get into the product will dry it out, so be certain the bag is closed tightly and the lid is sealed.

If a product defect is suspected, you may call our customer service department to discuss (845) 469-1034 or email us at: [email protected].

Sweet Regards from your friends at Satin Ice!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 4:03am
post #5 of 6

I can confirm that about the shortening as I used to do this and it definitely resulted in cracking. And I've bought Satin Ice that was too old. Dust on the bucket is a hint. Once I bought some purple from Dawn Foods in Houston and it was more blue than purple. I didn't know what to do and just used it anyway, but now I realize it may have been old and the pink may have faded.  If I'd just thought to add pink. the customer was 80 years old and wanted a purple cake. I felt awful.

For me Fondx is too gooey.

alyssaserce88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alyssaserce88 Posted 8 Nov 2014 , 1:12am
post #6 of 6

we always use corn starch as opposed to powedered sugar with our fondx, and we buy it online here in canada

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%