Questions For Home Based Cake Bakers In Ohio!

Business By Janani65 Updated 12 Jan 2013 , 4:40am by salsaman42

Janani65 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 10



I have a question. Thanks to CC members I realized I need to get a business license, though I don't need a license from health dept. 



This is my second month in the business and I'm clueless about the procedure. How did you all get your license? How much did it cost monthly/Annually? 


Thanks a million!

9 replies
jason_kraft Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 10

AI believe OH businesses are licensed through the sec. of state, the web site is below or you can call them at (614) 466-2655.

Janani65 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 10

I will call them. First thought of getting some insight from the people who went through the procedure! Thanks a lot Jason. You have been really helpful. Appreciate it!

Janani65 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 10

What type of license should I take? I do the business, but my husband helps me. He has his own job though 

cai0311 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 10

I have a licensed home bakery in Ohio.  The only license I have gotten is the one through the Ag. department which allows me to sell goods that need to be refrigerated (sometimes referred to as perishable food products) (such as cream cheese filling).


I attach my cake income to my personal income on my taxes - well, my accountant does anyway.


Edited to add:

I may be remembering wrong but I think I did have to fill out a 533a (found at under Limited Liability Company section), but I can't remember for sure.

jason_kraft Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 10

AIf you are a sole proprietorship then you may not need to file anything with the secretary of state, unless you are operating under a fictitious business name. If your husband is "unofficially" helping out I would stick to a sole prop business, unless you want the additional liability protection of an LLC.

Janani65 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 10

I tried calling the Secretary. of state. Wasn't much help. I anyway got registered for a conference which teaches how to run a small business. So, if I am the only owner, I don't necessarily need a license? 

jason_kraft Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 10

AThat's what it looks like to me, from what I've read OH is a little unusual when it comes to licensing (the state seems to handle everything) so when you take that conference they should be able to provide more guidance.

KCC Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 10

If you're in Columbus you have to go thru the department of health.

salsaman42 Posted 12 Jan 2013 , 4:40am
post #10 of 10

You need a license to become a licensed home bakery through the Dept of Agriculture call 614-728-6250 to schedule an inspection. Only requirements are no pets in the home and no carpet in the kitchen. They only came one time unless they have a complaint. You have to renew the licence every year at $10 a year, through the mail. One guy cames & looks at your kitchen, just clean it up good.


If you name your business you need a Ficticious name/original filing document, $50 for 5 years I think it was. You gey that through the Ohio Secretary of State, Jennifer Brunner. Sorry I don't have that number.

Quote by @%username% on %date%