Christi52 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 12:24am
post #1 of

AAny suggestions on the best/easiest way to make Navy blue Fondant - will ready made (eg Satin Ice) royal blue and black kneaded together work?

5 replies
shanter Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 12:35am
post #2 of

I don't know about blue + black.Take a tiny bit of each and smoosh them together to find out. When I need dark/intense/saturated colors (black, navy, red, dark green) I buy them. It's so much easier. icon_biggrin.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 12:41am
post #3 of

Yes... but you'll have to add some red too to get a nice warm navy color.  Blue and black makes an almost ash navy (with greenish undertones... think hair coloring).  Satin ice brand anyway.  I do it all the time though.  Mostly blue with black and red added.  How much black and red depends on the hue you are going for.

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:03am
post #4 of

Navy can be very tough because many black fondants aren't just "black"--they're usually a mix of many, many colors.  When you add other colors to them, they can turn purple, green, or even reddish.

I suggest adding a bit of white to your black to see if you can determine what the base shade might be and then go from there.

I like to move toward navy using powdered colors.  I usually start with mix of blue and black fondant and use powdered black and blue to get it deeper.  Sometimes I need to add some red fondant to it, too.  When you get it MOST of the way to what you want--stop because it will darken significantly as it sits.  I like to let it sit for 24 hrs. and then reassess.

I always make more than I think I'll need because I know I'll never match it!

Rae

ilaurido Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:29am
post #5 of

I made navy blue painting first the fondant with wilton royal blue and added navy blue color from americolor to make more darker i added litlle drops of black.

Christi52 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 9:50am
post #6 of

AThank you all so much - I'll know my starting point and experiment from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%