Kinda New To The (Fondant) Game!!

Decorating By Alyoung Updated 10 Jan 2013 , 8:07pm by -K8memphis

Alyoung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alyoung Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 2

I usually only make cakes for my family events mainly using "altered" box cakes and store bought frosting's and homemade fillings. Ive been getting compliments and requests for cakes. Ive been experimenting with making my own frosting and am pretty confident in that part but when it comes to making and using fondant especially MMF  I cant for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. It comes out fine i follow the recipes to a T then when i try to cover a cake it all goes down hill i roll it out fine about 1/4" thick at times get it on the cake start smoothing it on and thumbsdown.gif starts cracking or ripping sometimes even shrinking then if it does lay down right and i mean IF, within minutes its sweating and shiny and tacky. i live in SW Florida its 80 degrees outside almost daily but i keep it 70 inside. well that's my story and I'm just stumped. any and all help will be appreciated. Thank You..

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 2

maybe get some store bought fondant to get the hang of it

knead it well like 50 times right before rolling it out so it freshly recently well kneaded

if it is brand new it's probably cool

but even then sometimes you need to knead in a generous dollop of white shortening

really helps avoid the cracks and splits

fondant thoughts for you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%