First Post! Cake Stencils On A Gold Fondant Cake!

Decorating By knf21583 Updated 18 Jan 2013 , 6:00am by Evoir

knf21583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knf21583 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 5

AHi all! I'm new here in that, this is my first post in a plea for help! I have a bride who wants a metallic (keyword!) gold fondant cake, and she wants the design which will be applied with cake stencils to be white. Does anyone have advice for me on how to do this? I'm most worried about the gold coming off if handled too much with the placement of the stencil. Luster dust? Spray? Vodka-luster dust paint? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! This is the look she's going for[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2890540/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 12:58am
post #2 of 5

Hang on a minute.

You the cake maker decide how to make this cake. NOT THE BRIDE.  The bride shows you what she wants the end result to look like, and YOU the cake expert make it the best way you know or can find.

If it was my job, I would cover the cake in white fondant, glaze lightly with a spray, and use the stencil with the metallic gold edible spray.  NOT white paint onto a gold base.

So please sort this out with the bride.  Get a written contract that says that you will create the design that the picture shows.  DO NOT agree to anything specific about the technique.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 5

Hmm, this is an interesting challenge.    Hopefully someone has some tips!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 5

I think it would be easier to do the opposite - use white fondant, and apply the design in gold. Just because it's true what you say about any gold lustre dust (whether it be applied dry, wet, or in spray form) coming off. She will still get the metallic look she wants, you will just have to look for (or make) a stencil in reverse, if you see what I mean.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 6:00am
post #5 of 5

I would make the fondant white. Make your own stencil to apply the gold pattern.

I will admit it though - this is not the sort of design I would want to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%