Aurora42196 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 7:47am
post #1 of

AHello ccers

I'm new at cake decorating and I've never ordered cake decorating products online before. I've been tempted to buy some tools from Global Sugar Art. Maybe some gumpaste tools and a new fondant work mat. What do you think about this website?

8 replies
elisaber Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 7:53am
post #2 of

GSA used to be my absolute favorite website, they have "everything"! I've ordered loads of times from them in the past, and been very happy doing so. Unfortunately at the end of last year they had massive security problems, resulting in heaps of people having their credit information stolen from the website and consequently ended up with fraudulent use of their creditcards - I was one of them, I had THREE credit cards "stolen" and money went missing on all of them. I know GSA has said that everything is fine again now - they've fixed the security issue and their website is 100% safe to use again, but personally I don't think I'll ever dare to use them again - there's just been too much hassle for me, and I'd never forgive myself if it were to happen again.

There's a huge thread on this forum about this, so feel free to look through that and make your own mind up - I'm sure I'm just being overly worried not using them anymore, but that's my 2 cents on the subject.

Aurora42196 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 7:57am
post #3 of

AThanks for info. I'll be sure to check of those other forums. This is the first time I've heard about their security failures.

elisaber Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 8:13am
post #4 of

To be fair - they do have the option to pay through PayPal, and that's perfectly safe. Hadn't thought of that because I've never used it, but that's certainly an option! Use PayPal when ordering, and do use GSA - it's a wonderful resource for us cakers icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 11:00am
post #5 of

Look on Amazon first.  They won't have everything, but they have a ton of stuff.  I can generally get free shipping as long as I'm not ordering from a third party vendor.

cazza1 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 11:22am
post #6 of

I have bought plenty of stuff through GSA and I use Paypal.  Never had any trouble.

Sweetwise Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 10:48pm
post #7 of

Sweet Wise uses the highest security available. We have always used an encrypted service, from day one. The process of gaining a security certificate is quite time consuming and frankly painful to go through as far as forms, phone conversations, verification with the encrypting service, etc., but we went through it and go through it again every time we're up for recertification. Most people take the easier way out and use a service that "verifies" its security, but it's really falling under a service that is offering insurance rather than true security verification and third party encryption, which is much safer. Like I said, from day one we have used this method and it has never failed, once. 

shanter Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 12:56am
post #8 of

There have also been credit cards used for erroneous charges on Country Kitchen. I asked them about their security and they said it was fine, but I don't trust them. They don't offer PayPal, so if you order, use a pre-loaded credit card that can be thrown away when you've used it.

http://cakecentral.com/t/752667/where-can-i-order-tools-online

http://cakecentral.com/t/751888/country-kitchen

http://cakecentral.com/t/751327/anyone-having-trouble-with-checkout-security-at-globalsugarart

fcakes Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 1:33am
post #9 of

AI received several emails from GSA with monthly specials etc and they've started adding a note in their emails that payment will only be accepted by Paypal until they sort out the matter....so you can buy from GSA using Paypal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%