Liars!! Ugh!

Lounge By tykesmommy Updated 19 Feb 2013 , 6:10am by Chellescakes

tykesmommy Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 46

I have noticed that there are a couple members (not going to mention any names since that isn't nice!!) who post one thing in one post then say something completely different in another. For example, I noticed one person said they're married with X kids and in a post right after it, they are single with X kids. They don't charge a cent for their cakes yet they have consulted with someone and was charging $150. They do have a license yet they want to know how to get one. They bake in their home yet they rent somewhere since they can't do it at home.

 

 

Crap like this gets on my nerves. If you're going to make stuff up, atleast keep your fibs in order to where you don't get caught and people don't think you're a liar or a lunatic. Whew! I feel better. End griping spell. :)

45 replies
Sparklekat6 Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 46

R u sure its the same person?  There is someone on here who is Sparklekat while I am Sparklekat6.  Just asking because I know that I miss those small details sometimes! ;) 

tykesmommy Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 46

ALol yes I'm absolutely positive. There is no mistaking their name and when I started noticing it, I went to each thread they had started or posted in so it is definitely the same person.

Sparklekat6 Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 46

Well in that case:  I despise LYING LIARS WHO LIE!  ;)

tykesmommy Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 46

AI wonder why people feel the need to ***ier people in an online community that they have never met.

tykesmommy Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 46

ACrap!! Not ***ier!! Deceive!! Crap!! Stupid autocorrect.

AZCouture Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 46

What the heck does the filter think you were trying to say? icon_lol.gif

jason_kraft Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 46

APerhaps this person was talking about situations in different points of time and wasn't clear about the timeline. For example, she may have given away cakes for free in the past when she was baking from home, but now that she has a commercial kitchen she is charging.

mcaulir Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesmommy 

I have noticed that there are a couple members (not going to mention any names since that isn't nice!!) who post one thing in one post then say something completely different in another. For example, I noticed one person said they're married with X kids and in a post right after it, they are single with X kids. They don't charge a cent for their cakes yet they have consulted with someone and was charging $150. They do have a license yet they want to know how to get one. They bake in their home yet they rent somewhere since they can't do it at home.

 

 

Crap like this gets on my nerves. If you're going to make stuff up, atleast keep your fibs in order to where you don't get caught and people don't think you're a liar or a lunatic. Whew! I feel better. End griping spell. :)

But the rest of your post is nice?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesmommy

I wonder why people feel the need to ***ier people in an online community that they have never met.

 

I wonder why people care about the lies of people in an online community that they have never met.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 46

Working from Jason's point, I'd check the dates of the original post(s).  This new format has been bringing up ancient threads and people are answering them like they were created yesterday. 

 

Some of this sounds like a very natural progression over several years: married w/ kids, divorced(single) w/ kids, don't charge, want to start business, consults, starts business...

 

Rae

AZCouture Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 46
Quote:

 This new format has been bringing up ancient threads and people are answering them like they were created yesterday. 

 

Some of this sounds like a very natural progression over several years: married w/ kids, divorced(single) w/ kids, don't charge, want to start business, consults, starts business...

 

Rae

Yeah, guilty! icon_redface.gif

AZCouture Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 46

Dang it, I meant to reply to the part about answering threads like they were new...stupid NEW format.

Evoir Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 46

AOkay, please report this sort of carry-on to me or Jennifer (FromScratchSF), or just click on a post/ the posts you are concerned about and we'll deal with anyone playing silly buggers and lying for fun to deceive people.

I hope "buggers" is okay by the filter!

tykesmommy Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 12:55am
post #14 of 46

A

Original message sent by mcaulir

But the rest of your post [I]is[/I] nice?

I wonder why people care about the lies of people in an online community that they have never met.

No, its not nice, but I'm not going to call them out since others already have. Jason, these posts have been started and comments have been posted all been within the past 4 weeks. And maybe it aggravates the crap out of me when they are asking for advice since they are a single parent and then asking for advice since they have a husband and kids, etc within weeks of each other. Why ask for advice based on a lie?

jason_kraft Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 1:02am
post #15 of 46

A

Original message sent by tykesmommy

No, its not nice, but I'm not going to call them out since others already have. Jason, these posts have been started and comments have been posted all been within the past 4 weeks. And maybe it aggravates the crap out of me when they are asking for advice since they are a single parent and then asking for advice since they have a husband and kids, etc within weeks of each other. Why ask for advice based on a lie?

Without more information it's difficult to jump to the conclusion that this person is lying. It's possible of course, but I find it's a lot less aggravating to give someone the benefit of the doubt, especially if it has virtually no impact on you directly (e.g. a stranger posting anonymously on a message board). I recommend just ignoring someone if you don't trust them, or reporting them to the mods if you think they are trolling.

tykesmommy Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 2:36am
post #16 of 46

AJason, you're right. I don't think I will be replying to anyone else after they have been straight out asked by another member why they're saying they are single with 3 kids but on the previous post right before that, they are married.

tykesmommy Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 2:36am
post #17 of 46

AIt don't even matter. Sorry for venting so can the mod just delete this post?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 3:00am
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesmommy 

It don't even matter. Sorry for venting . . .

 

We all have our pet peeves. 

 

I'm not bothered by people's 'shifting histories' as I like to call them. 

 

What really frosts my cake (and not in a good way) is people who want help with a recipe, but follow the plea with the information that this is the first time they used the recipe and they subbed one ingredient or another  (the recipe called for butter and they used oil), or they changed the method for mixing the ingredients (the recipe called for creaming the butter and sugar and they decided to use the reverse creaming method).  I always want to scream that they would obviously have no clue as to whether that recipe is any good because they didn't use THAT recipe, but one they invented themselves.

 

I generally manage to restrain myself and refrain from venting AT them online.  Hubby's on the road alot and the four legged fur babies sometimes come to see who I'm yelling at. . . but here I am piggy backing on your pet peeve online anyway.

 

All of which is to say. . . .

 

I know exactly how you feel, and if we don't vent at some point we'll do ourselves a harm (either our heads will explode, or we'll wind up with high blood pressure).  So no harm, no foul. . .

wildflowercakes Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 3:19am
post #19 of 46

So much awesome information on CC to learn from- I guess it just depends on what you want to take away from it

fedra Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 4:53am
post #20 of 46

Jason is always so cool, collected and has the best advice for every post here.......even if it has nothing to do with cake and more with what seems like a cruel, twisted reality TV show of some sort!

FromScratchSF Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:06am
post #21 of 46

Here's the reality - this is the internet and anyone can be anyone they want at time, and that's the way it's always been.  I don't have to tell you my business, where I live, my name, etc - and if I do give it out I could be completely full of it (although I'm not).  Some people do it because they don't want anyone to know anything about them but feel they must give some detail otherwise they aren't really participating in the "community".  Some give false info just for fun.  Some are just young and stupid that want attention.  But honestly, there are several members on these forums that you all know and love that have fibbed, stretched the truth, and/or completely invented an online persona for themselves as expert bakers/business owners/decorators - and they are none of those things in real life.  There is no law against inventing an online personality.  

 

On the flip side, there are many, many famous and/or extremely talented people on here that give NO personal or business info about themselves - and you'd never know you were talking to a expert on the level that they are.  That is also their right.

 

Edited to add:  I think there are far more honest yet incognito members here (that are awesome!) then there are people that make up stuff.  I wish those who fly under the radar would come out of the closet one day.   icon_biggrin.gif

mcaulir Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:41am
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Here's the reality - this is the internet and anyone can be anyone they want at time, and that's the way it's always been.  I don't have to tell you my business, where I live, my name, etc - and if I do give it out I could be completely full of it (although I'm not).  Some people do it because they don't want anyone to know anything about them but feel they must give some detail otherwise they aren't really participating in the "community".  Some give false info just for fun.  Some are just young and stupid that want attention.  But honestly, there are several members on these forums that you all know and love that have fibbed, stretched the truth, and/or completely invented an online persona for themselves as expert bakers/business owners/decorators - and they are none of those things in real life.  There is no law against inventing an online personality.  

 

On the flip side, there are many, many famous and/or extremely talented people on here that give NO personal or business info about themselves - and you'd never know you were talking to a expert on the level that they are.  That is also their right.

 

Edited to add:  I think there are far more honest yet incognito members here (that are awesome!) then there are people that make up stuff.  I wish those who fly under the radar would come out of the closet one day.   icon_biggrin.gif

 

Oh now, that's not fair! What a tease! icon_biggrin.gif

BakingIrene Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:25pm
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykesmommy 

I have noticed that there are a couple members (not going to mention any names since that isn't nice!!) who post one thing in one post then say something completely different in another. For example, I noticed one person said they're married with X kids and in a post right after it, they are single with X kids. They don't charge a cent for their cakes yet they have consulted with someone and was charging $150. They do have a license yet they want to know how to get one. They bake in their home yet they rent somewhere since they can't do it at home.

 

Yeah. I noticed this pattern with this specific user too.  They also posted that they work at a Subway, and do their caking all night, so it was starting to sound like they might have been sneaking in to work after hours.

 

But ya know what, this person's new partner has got on her case to clean up her Internet act.  So maybe somebody has muzzled that babbling for good...No reason for the rest of us to lose sleep.  I simply flag some accounts as "don;t show me any posts" and I don;t have to suffer.

tykesmommy Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:28pm
post #24 of 46

A

Original message sent by BakingIrene

Yeah. I noticed this pattern with this specific user too.  They also posted that they work at a Subway, and do their caking all night, so it was starting to sound like they might have been sneaking in to work after hours.

But ya know what, this person's new partner has got on her case to clean up her Internet act.  So maybe somebody has muzzled that babbling for good...No reason for the rest of us to lose sleep.  I simply flag some accounts as "don;t show me any posts" and I don;t have to suffer.

See?! SEE??! I'm not crazy!!!

jason_kraft Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 6:37pm
post #25 of 46

A

Original message sent by BakingIrene

But ya know what, this person's new partner has got on her case to clean up her Internet act.  

More likely that her new partner doesn't want anyone to dissuade her from continuing with the partnership, as it looked like a thinly veiled attempt to get a new guaranteed customer for her MLM business.

LibnlucsCC Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 10:09pm
post #26 of 46

I completely understand why you would be upset. Personally, I could care less...if you feel you must lie to make yourself better, go for it. I also get confused sometimes. There are days I have two kids and days I have three...depends on if my husband's home too- he's my third ;)

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jan 2013 , 10:46pm
post #27 of 46

ALol! I definitely get irritated too, when people lie to me! I would much rather hear the ugly truth than a pretty lie. I COULDN'T care less, (since saying a could would mean I care at all,) what mess people are stirring up on the Internet when it has nothing to do with me, but when you come asking for advise and have a sob story, and I sympathize and share my story if how I became legal and the road blocks in my way, and you're nothing but a liar, it surely frosts my cake in way that makes me want to not share in the future.

Whew! Epic run on sentence! Exhausting!

Evoir Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 10:26pm
post #28 of 46

AThe thing that concerns me more than incognito, or story changing, are the people who post information based on their "experience" that is absolutely BS and can cause someone who is asking a genuine question a great deal of bother, or misadventure.

THIS is the sort of guff that concerns me as a moderator. I would encourage members to not believe everything they read, here or anywhere else on the interwebs, if it is of critical importance.

I once had a situation where I followed the instructions of a very well-respected member on a VERY highly-regarded cooking forum (paid full memberships etc), which resulted in a self-destructing croquembouche literally half an hour before delivery. It was a very specific issue that someone decided to offer helpful, "experienced-based" advice on and it was [I]UTTER GARBAGE![/I]

Anyhow, I'll do what I can to stop people doing this sort of thing and causing mischief. If any member notices posts or advice that are clearly misleading, flick me a PM and I'll keep an eye on them ;-)

LovelyCakes4Us Posted 19 Jan 2013 , 11:26pm
post #29 of 46

A

Original message sent by tykesmommy

No, its not nice, but I'm not going to call them out since others already have. Jason, these posts have been started and comments have been posted all been within the past 4 weeks. And maybe it aggravates the crap out of me when they are asking for advice since they are a single parent and then asking for advice since they have a husband and kids, etc within weeks of each other. Why ask for advice based on a lie?

Maybe a they broke up? Never know honestly online what happends in others life.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 9:07pm
post #30 of 46

y'know what though i do try to extend the benefit of the doubt 

 

with enough extensions though you just know when somebody doesn't really have the experience and is talking some talk without ever having really walked the walk

 

it is o.b.v.i.o.u.s.~~

 

when i first started posting on forums a friend convinced me to post pictures for street cred --huge learning curve/tiny brain --it's sooo much easier now!!!

 

and while pictures can still lie, i challenge some folks to get a few up for your street cred--

 

putcher picture where your typed word mouth is--

 

a picture speaks a 1,000 words or more of your expertise

 

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%