My Buttercream Tastes Too Much Like..butter

Decorating By flourxxchildxx Updated 7 Jan 2013 , 4:52pm by flourxxchildxx

flourxxchildxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourxxchildxx Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:39am
post #1 of 17

AI know it's odd since its called BUTTERCREAM.. but I don't feel like butter is very tasty... even with loads of sugar in it. now I could be doing something wrong, like maybe using the wrong kind of butter? but I want a frosting for my cake that doesn't taste to much like butter, I've tried American BC and SMBC.. both which tasted like sugary butter. I'm on a search for the perfect frosting for under fondant and over, does anyone have a recipe for what I'm looking for or any ideas not to make it taste like a wad of sugary butter?

16 replies
oven lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oven lover Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:43am
post #2 of 17

AEqual parts butter and shortening is what I use it tastes great also use pure vanilla extract

oven lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oven lover Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:43am
post #3 of 17

AAlso use milk to soften it up not water

flourxxchildxx Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:49am
post #4 of 17

AI've been wanting to try shortening but everyone always comments on how shortening has a bad mouthfeel, which I feel butter already has. I'm gonna try it either way to find out for my self, thank you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 4:21am
post #5 of 17

i am curious as to how both abc and smbc both came out icky to you--do you mind giving the recipes??

you didn't melt the butter did you?

did you add a little salt in the american?

sounds like it's not enough vanilla

so what kind of butter is it?

was the smbc grainy or smooth???

flourxxchildxx Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 5:04am
post #6 of 17

Athe butter was a perfect room temperature, not melted at all. one problem might have been it was salted butter and the recipe called for unsalted. I put a good amount of vanilla and the SMBC came out smooth... but it felt greasy and a little hard, like it was cold or something. I did not however, switch the whisk for the paddle attachment when I added to butter to the sugary egg whites, I don't know if that could've affected it or why it even would.

flourxxchildxx Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 5:09am
post #7 of 17

Aoh, and the recipe was a 1..2..3 SMBC recipe. 3 parts butter, 2 parts granulated sugar, and one part egg whites.and then add in vanilla and a pinch of salt

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 5:13am
post #8 of 17

..........one problem might have been it was salted butter and the recipe called for unsalted.........

In AC b'cream that shouold not really make a difference.  I interchange them all the time.

As K8 suggested it would help a whole lot if you posted the actual recipes used. 

"A goodly amount.." really doesn't tell us much :( What is a goodly amount to one might be 1 teaspoon but to another it could be 3 Tablespoons.

For every 2#s of sugar in AC b'cream I use 2 cups of butter and 2 cups of Crisco along w/2Tablespoons of a combination of vanilla, almont and butter flavoring.  See how your answer doesn't help?    

flourxxchildxx Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 5:20am
post #9 of 17

AI didn't know the vanilla would make that much of a difference in it tasting so buttery, I put 1 TBL in the 1..2..3 recipe. 4 oz egg whites 8 oz white sugar, 12 oz butter, 1 TBL vanilla, pinch of salt

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 5:31am
post #10 of 17

Hon, everyone's taste buds are *different*!  What tastes salty or sweet or buttery to you might be just what I'm looking for :)

Flavoring is one thing anyone can play around with in most any recipe.  As I prefere a combination of 3 flavors you might want to use only vanilla.  Using a combo gives the icing a more complex taste and most people will enjoy it much better :)

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 17

You might want to try different brands of butter, also. I found a few store brands of butter have a real strong artificial butter taste/smell.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 17

my favorite SMC is 10 whites to 6 cubes of butter.  (1.5 cups whites to 3 cups butter by volume,   12 oz whites to 24 oz butter by weight) so the ratio of whites to butter is 1:2.  Also, I agree with reading the ingredients on your butter.  Many have artificial flavoring which makes them more "buttery".  (and artificial colors that make them more yellow).  My favorite is Crystal butter (a California dairy - don"t know if it is widely available) but it has only one ingredient - pasteurized cream, and is very reasonably priced.  When a sweeter frosting is called for, I also really like the fluffy American buttercream that you can find in the recipe section.  It uses shortening and butter.  I use Hi-ratio shortening, so it is not gritty, and a lot less sugary than the traditional American buttercream.  

LovelyCakes4Us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCakes4Us Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 17

ABelieve it or not when I first started i followed every recipe to the T! Later to find out unsalted butter and using my own taste buds was KEY! I do not mesure anything i use tiny spoons to taste. And when the recipe is perfect to me voila! Trust me this works I've been known to have one of the best tasting cupcakes and cakes in my state.

Use coffee creamers for you're liquid, it taste delicious or whipping cream. HTH

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 17

You definitely have to use unsalted butter when making SMBC.  I use this recipe all the time and everyone loves it.  http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

It does need more flavoring then the ABC.  If you taste it on its own you may still feel like it has a buttery taste but when you eat with the cake, it just tastes delicious.

flourxxchildxx Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 17

AI'm a the store right now, I'm going to try an organic butter, because I do agree that some butters taste more " buttery " and im going to expirement all day until I get just what I'm looking for, thank you so much for all the advice, it means a lot

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 3:24pm
post #16 of 17

Oh definitely use unsalted butter when making meringue based icings.  If you use salted it will taste like sweet butter... good on scones, but not so much on a cake.  It tastes more like vanilla ice cream when you use unsalted butter.  I wouldn't use shortening in a meringue based icing personally as you really will taste it since there is so much less sugar in these recipes as compared to a powdered sugar based icing.  The more vanilla you add the better it will be. 

I don't like powdered sugar based icings at all, but using 1/2 salted and 1/2 unsalted is better than all salted.  I don't love shortening, but 1/2 and 1/2 in powdered sugar based icing isn't bad at all. 

flourxxchildxx Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 4:52pm
post #17 of 17

Alovely cakes that's a great idea! with the coffee creamers, you gave me an idea. thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%