Crusting Cream Cheese For Red Vevet Cake.

Baking By Jo2262 Updated 2 May 2013 , 5:14pm by clare2582

Jo2262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo2262 Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 8:17am
post #1 of 11

AHi everyone.. Am new in this forum and a newbie in cake decorating. Am making a red velvet birthday cake for a friend and would like to know where to find this so -called crusting cream cheese which I needto coat the cake . Can anyone share the recipe? Can the usualcream cheese frosting be okay for crumb coating ? IAm also worried that the cake might be too soft to be covered with fondant. The cake is going to have a golf theme and will have some figures. Will appreciated any advise, thanks,,

10 replies
peanut61062 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut61062 Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 9:10am
post #2 of 11

ACream cheese frosting does not really crust. If you want to crumb coat I would suggest the following put your red velvet cake in fridge over night take out out a thin layer of cream cheese frosting on smooth as much as possible. Put it back in fridge for about an hour take it out then apply your final frosting layer

Jo2262 Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 9:13am
post #3 of 11

AThanks for the tip Peanut61062!!

LovelyCakes4Us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCakes4Us Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 11

AI find adding cream cheese to my normal (crusting) b-c recipe plus a pinch of salt and a pinch of meringue powder works wonders for me. HTH

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 11

This is a perfect crusting cream cheese recipe.  I actually use it as my go-to buttercream and it goes lovely with red velvet cake:

1 box (8 ounces) cream cheese (softened)

2 sticks (8 ounces) real butter (I use salted)  (soften)

2 lbs pure cane powdered sugar.

Whip softened butter and cream cheese with whisk attachment on mixer until smooth and creamy.   Change to paddle attachment and slowly add powdered sugar until all is well combined and smooth.  No need for vanilla or any other liquid unless you just want to.   It crusts very well.

Jo2262 Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 11

AAm going to try this recipe.. Thanks all !

smzsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smzsweets Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 6:44am
post #7 of 11

I found your (carmijok) recipe on another forum and it is the only recipe that ALWAYS turns out wonderful! Everyone raves about how yummy it is, even the people who say they don't really like frosting! ;). Love love love this recipe. Do you have any suggestions to make it chocolate frosting?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 11

I always  use carmijok's c/c recipe since i saw it on c/c. it really does crust and it is so delicious!!! the recipe that i have always used is great tasting too, but did not crust. carmijok all the way now!!!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 7:38am
post #9 of 11

AGlad you all enjoy the frosting! As for making it chocolate I add cocoa powder, a splash of vanilla,and a half stick more butter. It will look very light when you mix it, but the longer it sits,the darker it gets. I start with a half cup of cocoa powder and add to taste...usually up to 3/4 cup. It's a fudgy rich frosting that everyone loves.

The nice thing about this frosting is how you can easily adapt it. Coconut is delicious, lemon or lime zest added is yummy...it's very versatile! Enjoy!:smile:

smzsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smzsweets Posted 24 Jan 2013 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 11

Perfect!~ I will definitely be trying the cocoa powder! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes! :)

clare2582 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clare2582 Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 11

carmijok's recipe works wonderfully, and tastes great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%