gnomeo Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 11:10pm
post #1 of

AObviously, I'm new to cake decorating but giving it a try for my daughter's bday. Why do you put buttercream frosting under fondant? Could you use cream cheese frosting? Also, I live in a warm climate and last time I made buttercream frosting it was kind of melting more as I used it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
ellavanilla Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 11:52pm
post #2 of

well you need something for the fondant to adhere it to the cake. old school decorators used a thin layer of apricot jam. you definitely need to work in a cooler environment with buttercream, but you can also chill your cake before applying the fondant. 

BakingIrene Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 11:55pm
post #3 of

You need something to glue the crumbs down.  Then you need to make a nice smooth layer for the fondant to stick to.

Best to test your cream cheese frosting under fondant, some of the recipes have a significant amount of liquid and the fondant soaks up that water kinda fast.  Make sure you use full fat cream cheese, it has less water.

newbaker55 Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 12:11am
post #4 of

Another reason is some people don't like fondant and will peel it off. If there's nothing under your fondant, they'll get a naked cake to eaticon_surprised.gif

Ganache holds up well to heat. Have you thought about using cream cheese buttercream as a filling then white chocolate ganache, flavored as desired, as the layer that meets your fondant? After the ganache sets, you can lightly mist/brush it with water or brush with melted preserves to give the fondant something to adhere to.

gnomeo Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 12:57am
post #5 of

AThanks so much for your replies. Totally makes sense! I think I'm ready to give it a go!

newbaker55 Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:47am
post #6 of

Great! Let us know how everything turns out for youicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%