Curious About Martha Stewart Recipes...

Baking By iwantcookies Updated 5 Jan 2013 , 5:05am by iwantcookies

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 2:39am
post #1 of 13

Hey all

Am i the only one who luvs Martha's recipes? I've read a lot on here and on her website recipe reviews from people who don't like her recipes, think they're 'notoriously dry' yadda yadda. But i can honestly say that every recipe i have tried of hers has come out stellar: extremely moist, been a hit at the cafe i bake for etc etc.  Does anyone else like/use her recipes and find that they are great? If not, what don't u like about them? I am genuinely curious!!!!! 

thanks!

12 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 2:46am
post #2 of 13

I use her red velvet recipe exclusively.  It's very similar to Cakeman's but I tried hers first and it was great so I just stuck with it.  I haven't tried any others, though.  I have also heard that about her recipes but you never know how people are measuring and whether or not they are using the appropriate ingredients. 

Which recipes do you like?  Are you getting them from a book or her website?  Can you post which ones you have had success with?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 2:52am
post #3 of 13

I have trouble adjusting Martha Stewart cake recipes for my high altitude but I've loved every frosting or filling recipe I've tried of hers and use them or a variation of them a lot.

iwantcookies Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:03am
post #4 of 13

thanks for replying ladies!

AnnieCahill, i am using the recipes from her Cupcakes book. Off the top of my head, I have tried and luved the devils food cake, marble cake, peanut butter cake, fresh strawberry cupcakes (probably my favourite from the book!) and her chai cake. They are always so moist with the perfect crumb! I am going to try her vanilla cake this weekend and see how it compares to the one i am using now :)  Have you tried it??

SweetEats114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetEats114 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 7:55am
post #5 of 13

AI love her Snickerdoodle and Yellow Butter recipes!

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 13

I just recently made her carrot cake recipe for my sisters birthday. It was delicious and her cream cheese frosting was a dream to work with - not too soft like it usually is. Everyone loved the cake, even those that don't like carrot cake! I got the recipe from her website. Plus I used to make her gingerbread snowflake cookie recipe every year for the holidays - delicious!

RJ

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 13

I'm not afraid to say it - My name is Jennifer and I love Martha.

People think I'm nuts when they ask me to recommend baking books to them and the 1st one on my list is Cupcakes.  There are a few horrible recipes in it (those strawberry cupcakes - ug what a disaster, and I hate any white cake that calls for meringue to be folded in), but the other 98% of them are pretty perfect, especially for inexperienced bakers.  There are a few in that book I've altered, tweaked, adapted, and use regularly in my bakery - and they are top sellers.  Red velvet, devil's food and carrot ginger.  I would also use that lemon pound cupcake recipe all the time but the cost of ingredients is too high (all that cream cheese)... but if I feel like making someone a very special lemon cake, I use that recipe.  Although they were written for cupcakes, they translate just fine to full cakes - even really large full cakes.  I have a whole library of baking books but I find that if I need a new recipe or some new ideas, between Cupcakes and the Cake Bible I can come up with some pretty awesome stuff.

Some cake artists would kill to be in Brides and feel that is "making it" - I want to be in MS Weddings.  It's one of my ultimate goals-that-probably-won't-happen-unless-I-pay-to-advertise.  

AnnieCahill Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 13

Ok, so ya'll are pulling these out of her Cupcakes book then, right?  I don't have it, but I think my mom does.  I might have to venture over to her house and take a look...

iwantcookies Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:07am
post #9 of 13

Yep AnnieCahill, i am using the recipes out of the Cupcakes book. You can also find larger scale recipes in Martha's Wedding Cakes book (another one of my faves!)

FromScratch, i absolutely luv the strawberry cupcake recipe! lol My only gripe with her recipes is that they are volume measurements...grr! As an apprentice pastry chef I use scales at work and at school (AND at home) so this whole cup measurements thing drives me batty. 

But yeah, Martha all the way :)

AnnieCahill Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:09am
post #10 of 13

Oh yeah, I do have her Wedding Cakes book.  Thanks for the ideas ladies.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:10am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantcookies 

Yep AnnieCahill, i am using the recipes out of the Cupcakes book. You can also find larger scale recipes in Martha's Wedding Cakes book (another one of my faves!)

FromScratch, i absolutely luv the strawberry cupcake recipe! lol My only gripe with her recipes is that they are volume measurements...grr! As an apprentice pastry chef I use scales at work and at school (AND at home) so this whole cup measurements thing drives me batty. 

But yeah, Martha all the way :)

Huh - the few times I made them they fell - too much liquid from the puree.  But here's a tip - if you use 3.25 oz for cake flour and 7 oz for sugar, you can easily convert to weight.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 3:59am
post #12 of 13

Now I'm wondering if I should try recipes from the Cupcakes book. I have the Wedding Cakes book and maybe those recipes are harder to adjust because they're scaled up.

iwantcookies Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 5:05am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

Now I'm wondering if I should try recipes from the Cupcakes book. I have the Wedding Cakes book and maybe those recipes are harder to adjust because they're scaled up.

And you wont be wasting so much if it flops due to the high altitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Huh - the few times I made them they fell - too much liquid from the puree.  But here's a tip - if you use 3.25 oz for cake flour and 7 oz for sugar, you can easily convert to weight.

I don't puree the strawberries, i just cut them  up into a small dice, then fold them through at the end.  And thanks for the measurements!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%