3D Dirt Bike Cake

Decorating By n8rd Updated 24 Feb 2013 , 7:09pm by n8rd

cakelady524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady524 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 9:50pm
post #31 of 37

Your bike looks great! I use SMBC under my fondant cakes, Ive also used BC. The BC is heavier an holds its form pretty good. I learned thru trial an error lol.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 1:49am
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8rd 

Heres my bike. It turned out pretty good I think. A couple things could've been better. I was wondering what kind of icing everyone uses for under the fondant. I've been using whipped icing and it doesn't seem to hold any body to it. As far as getting a nice edge on anything I cover. I was wondering if I should use a different type. Also I know I have 2 cakes to make for March 9th I wanted to know if I could make 1 of them next week and freeze it or at least make the cake and not cover it with fondant as long as I freeze it.

Good news I got 4 more cakes to make.

wow--yes good work

i also use smbc and it's chilled cold when i apply fondant to it

are you using marshmallow fondant??

yes you can freeze the cake before fondanting--some people i think freeze them afterwards but that makes me very nervous--i envision fondant sweating and colors running and I can't go there--so i just don't freeze mine after the fondant icon_biggrin.gif

but some people never fridge their cakes at all so--everybody does it different--you just need to work out what works best for you in your climate and etc.

wow 6 cakes on the books--awesome!!!!

way to go!!!

n8rd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n8rd Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 3:50am
post #33 of 37

I used wilton fondant on this 1. I'm getting ready to order  satin ice for my next 2 cake to try see if it taste better. My 1st cake I made my own but the black seemed to dry out so I'm hesitant to make mine again. I don't have much time during the week.

I froze the bike during the fondant and the colors didn't bleed but it did sweet a lot. It looked ok though, looked like the bike got waxed.

Also I was wondering how to make a stiff rkt mix. I hadthe frontfender made of krispies and it just bent in half......?

I more question...The 3d cake pans, bunny, lamb,bear can you cover those cakes with fondant or would they be to lite and collapse?

thats all

cakelady524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady524 Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 5:29am
post #34 of 37

Wilton fondant is eww compared to Satin Ice. I did my first ever fondant cake in Wilton, ate the cake an filling an left the Wilton fondant on the plate haha. I now make my own fondant. I use a marshmallow fondant recipe, I like the taste an its cheap to make. As far as rkt, I can't answer that. I will say that I've done a 3D [cocoa cola] bear cake, I followed the Wilton recipe that came in the box with it. It calls for box mix and a pound cake mix. I will say it was very firm an moist all at the same time! I didn't use fondant on my bear, I piped mine but, I don't see why you couldn't as it was not light at all. Hope this helps..Good Luck!

n8rd Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:16pm
post #35 of 37

That s what I  keep readingand then its a mixed review on the rest of fondant brands. I guess I will find out! I'm thinking I will bake for both the cakes next week and freeze them and then wait to decorate until the following week. Hope I get them done...work 2nd shift and have my son to play with during day...gives me like 3 hrs a night.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 6:44pm
post #36 of 37

if you are really careful maybe on a well frozen (3-d pan) cake but the ears and little dangly necks & all--i don't know-- 

if i was going to cover like that -- i might use choco clay that will hold it's own self at room temp rather than pull/weight it down like fondant

plus you might wanna apply the choco clay in sections and you can erase the joins by rubbing them out by hand

you seem really good with the planning--bake to order, freeze, then decorate and keep fridged is what works for me

sam's club sells american buttercream in 5 gallon tubs--that might be a thought for you--might have to special order it --you can rebeat it and add flavoring--saves a lot of time and mess

and the stiff rkt? rkt needs structure inside for some things--i did a tree trunk--no structure --but if i put branches on it --i would need structure to hold them up

you can whirl the rk in a food processor and make a very solid substance--measure after whirling--still needs structure for horizontal things

n8rd Posted 24 Feb 2013 , 7:09pm
post #37 of 37

AThank you for the suggestions. I was thinking of buying some 3d pans but wasnt sure if it was worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%