Cakepro Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 6:45pm
post #1 of

Please, don't do it.

 

Disco Dust is not an edible product, and it is clearly labeled "For Decorative Use Only."

 

Disco Dust is a fine-grain plastic craft glitter.  It is not food.  It is not to be used on food.  Simply because it is labeled "non-toxic" does not give you license to feed it to people.  Crayons are non-toxic, yet (hopefully) no one serves crayon shavings on cupcakes.  Sharpies are non-toxic, yet (hopefully) no one writes messages on cakes with Sharpies.  

 

Disco Dust is meant to be used on decorative elements that are to be removed from the cake prior to serving, not fed to unsuspecting people who TRUST that you are feeding them 100% safe and edible ingredients.

 

And justifying that you use this because a) other people do it and b) you haven't sickened anyone yet is NOT acceptable. 

 

There are edible alternatives out there.  You can now buy 100% edible, FDA-approved pearlized Crystal Colors from www.sugarpaste.com.  They are made and bottled here in the US.

 

Be professional.  Be educated.  Be ethical.   Just say NO to feeding people Disco Dust! :)

 

The following is a letter from my local health department ordering cessation of the use of Disco Dust on food.  Please read and share.

 

 

 

 

 

 

167 replies
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 6:59pm
post #2 of

bravo

and

i think we should re-think the use of toys and feathers.

 

some toys can be washed

 

but feathers came out of a bird butt--sorry to be so graphic but they did

 

even silk flowers have not been handled as you would a food item--

 

we just have done it so long it kinda seems ok but not really when you think about it

 

wouldn't put it on the baby's cereal so not on the cake to serve countless unknowns

 

if i were in business now i would so use this as my mantra--

 

show how my stuff is as safe as i can make it

 

in my state you can do food sales for farmers markets under certain parameters but that does not allow for decorated cake in my county

 

decorated cake comes under the catering rules because you have a much greater outreach and responsibility with that medium

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 7:00pm
post #3 of

I think we've already discussed this to the point where we're flogging a deceased equine. Although maybe the health department letter might finally convince some of the people still not otherwise convinced that "non-toxic" does not mean "Good Eats."

 

Moderator: maybe this ought to be arc-welded to the existing Disco Dust thread?

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 7:02pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis View Post

oh and i fell madly in love with what koryAK does with her foamcore boards

 

stunning stunning work

 

that's what i'm talking about

 

she will hopefully remind us

 

it's in a recent post of hers

 

so well thought out

 

i will def buy a big cake next time i'm in AK icon_biggrin.gif

 

 

i mispoke

 

i apologize to all

 

it was Blakes Cakes who does this amazingly secure work i referenced

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes View Post

I cut my own boards from 3/16" foamcore using a hot knife (electrified X-acto).

 

I don't cover them with anything because I don't want bits of foil, saran, or parchment to come up with the cake after cutting, so I melt some edible soy wax and wipe it on the surface (which I've sanitized using grain alcohol or vanilla extract). Works great--very sturdy.

 

Rae

 

it's like getting a partial license plate number -- i remembered the AK

 

but it was in blAKescakes not koriAK

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 7:07pm
post #5 of

i promise a lot of long time shop owners have no clue about this subject

 

should be broadcast loud and clear

Cakepro Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 7:40pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl View Post

I think we've already discussed this to the point where we're flogging a deceased equine. Although maybe the health department letter might finally convince some of the people still not otherwise convinced that "non-toxic" does not mean "Good Eats."

 

Moderator: maybe this ought to be arc-welded to the existing Disco Dust thread?

 

 

Once you've been a member of this forum for awhile, you'll see that food safety issues NEVER cease to need to be addressed.  One need only look at a few of the recent photos added to the gallery to see that people are indeed still heavily feeding unsuspecting people plastic glitter particles.

Godot Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 7:57pm
post #7 of

AActually, feathers do NOT come out of birds' butts. Feathers are plucked from the skin of the bird. This fact does not necessarily mean that I think feathers are acceptable items to come in contact with edibles. Guano and eggs come from the butt.

Unfortunately, here on Cake Central we are presented with evidence, every single day, of the fact that health and safety issues need to be addressed on a continuous basis.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:05pm
post #8 of

maybe so Godot

 

in the u.s. our birds have feathers near and sometimes covering their bird hinies and the such and such product thereof oft comes in contact with a portion of said butt feathers--perhaps a u.s. thing

 

u.s. birds have feathered skin all over

Godot Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:11pm
post #9 of

AAny time that feathers are used ad a decoration (think feather boa, or feathers for sale at the craft shop), they are always cleaned, sterilised, and then coloured. Even white feathers have been dyed.

They don't, of course, pluck the birds and then immediately package the feathers for sale to the general public.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:19pm

very true

 

and sometimes treated with formaldehyde is what i have read

 

but still not something i would want on a piece of my cake or near my food

 

but we tend to do that

 

and brides like to request it

SugaredSaffron Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:24pm

Butt feathers or otherwise, I don't think they should really be on food.
 

Jess155 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:25pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl View Post

I think we've already discussed this to the point where we're flogging a deceased equine. Although maybe the health department letter might finally convince some of the people still not otherwise convinced that "non-toxic" does not mean "Good Eats."

 

Moderator: maybe this ought to be arc-welded to the existing Disco Dust thread?

thumbs_up.gif

 

 

I'm not one to cover a cake in disco dust, I've never used it for anything but gumpaste decorations.  Having said that --

 

I think any person who takes a big bite of disco dust deserves the rainbow poo that will follow.  Most people don't eat the fondant or gumpaste anyway let alone when it's covered in sparkles.  Just like (most) people are responsible enough to take off the plastic flotsam that grocery stores throw on their cakes, most people (should) know that if it looks like glitter, peel it off.  Don't just blindly eat whatever is on your plate.  I've eaten worse.  My kids have eaten worse.  The grocery store sells worse and labels it "edible". 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:32pm

i know a certain certain place owned by a medical professional

 

that uses highlighter to saturate buttercream cakes and discos virtually every cake that goes out the door

 

well except the ones you can see your reflection in

 

edited to say--did i see her blow it off the brush onto the cake--... <wince>

Sparklekat6 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:33pm

I used it on my It's a Small World cake.  But we cut all the pieces off before eating it. Although I think my bosses kid may have tried to eat one of the pieces....   

DonnaOK Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:52pm

Sadly Cakepro, you could have handled this a lot better.  She is referring to me and the cake that I posted.  To say that I am unethical in the comment that you left on my cake, is sad, and this is why I tend to shy away from boards.  You could of sent me a message and told me your stance, instead of broadcasting it in a very rude manner.  I don't sit in judgement on how you run your business, nor would I ever.  I am sure if I dug deep enough, I could find where you have probably made a mistake on something you have done before.  However, I would choose a much kinder path and send you a private message. 

Cakepro Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 8:53pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155 View Post

thumbs_up.gif

 

 

I'm not one to cover a cake in disco dust, I've never used it for anything but gumpaste decorations.  Having said that --

 

I think any person who takes a big bite of disco dust deserves the rainbow poo that will follow.  Most people don't eat the fondant or gumpaste anyway let alone when it's covered in sparkles.  

 

 

My issue is with "professionals" who sell their cakes to an unsuspecting public.  When people buy food from a business (whether it be home-based or a commercial storefront), they expect it to be fully edible.  I know people do lots of nasty stuff in their home kitchens and feed it to their family...which also makes me sad, but it's the people who SELL food to the public and put inedible garbage on that food that really P!$$ me off.

 

Case in point: cupcakes.  I've seen a million cupcakes doused with Disco Dust.  There's no way to remove that before eating it.  I see DD it in photos here applied directly on fondant and buttercream cakes, cookies, cupcakes, cake balls...edibles that aren't intended to be disassembled before consuming.

 

I'm not pointing fingers at anybody.  I emulated someone quite famous from whom I took some classes in applying DD to cake some years ago.  The point here is to bring awareness to the community at large and let people know that at least one health department has taken the issue to the FDA for clarification.

Cakepro Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 9:02pm

DonnaOK,

 

Looks like we posted at the same time.

 

If you do a search of my posts here over the years, you'll see that I have been trying to educate others about DD on cakes for a LONG LONG time.

 

My thread was not about you at all.

 

You are simply one of many people to whom I've pointed out those not-so-tiny words on the bottle that DD is NOT a food product.

 

I'm sorry you feel singled out.  I hope you'll understand that it's not edible and that as a professional who sells food to the public, it is your duty to have the highest ethics when it comes to food safety.

DonnaOK Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 9:15pm

Sheri-

While I understand your point, you could of handled it a lot better.  I would never have gone on your cake photo, that you worked so hard on, and pointed out how unethical you were running your business.  I would of sent you a letter and asked if you were aware that it wasn't edible.  I am always about helping others in the industry....that's how I got my start.  I believe in helping each other, not making someone feel bad.  I understand you might not of been singling me out, but this thread started very soon after you made the second comment on my cake....which is how I made that assumption, and I am sure if the roles were reversed, you would of probably come to the same conclusion.  We're all trying to get ahead, and you never know when someone might be having a really bad day and a tough comment can really make them feel bad.

fcakes Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 9:47pm

A

Original message sent by Cakepro

My issue is with "professionals" who sell their cakes to an unsuspecting public.  When people buy food from a business (whether it be home-based or a commercial storefront), they expect it to be fully edible.  I know people do lots of nasty stuff in their home kitchens and feed it to their family...which also makes me sad, but it's the people who SELL food to the public and put inedible garbage on that food that really P!$$ me off.

Case in point: cupcakes.  I've seen a million cupcakes doused with Disco Dust.  There's no way to remove that before eating it.  I see DD it in photos here applied directly on fondant and buttercream cakes, cookies, cupcakes, cake balls...edibles that aren't intended to be disassembled before consuming.

I'm not pointing fingers at anybody.  I emulated someone quite famous from whom I took some classes in applying DD to cake some years ago.  The point here is to bring awareness to the community at large and let people know that at least one health department has taken the issue to the FDA for clarification.

A customer sent me pics of glittery cake pops for New Year, doused in disco dust, asking if I could make them. I sent her info about that stuff being plastic glitter and she was shocked! Lol!

Evoir Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 10:03pm

hbquikcomjamesl - I believe this is a valid thread to leave open. As we have seen time and again, very few newbies go through the stickies, or search for a topic before making a cake, or checking on facts about every single product. The fact that Cake Decorating suppliers sell this overpriced glitter to anybody who walks through their doors, is reason enough to revisit the issue from time to time.

 

What I WILL object to, is personal attacks on members. I do appreciate that we all can be passionate about our pet topics, but please remember your courtesy and offer advice in a generous and non-judgemental way if you wish to contribute to a discussion, or advise a member of a 'mistake' they may have made.

 

Thanks everyone!

 

- Eve

carmijok Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 10:58pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaOK View Post

Sheri-

While I understand your point, you could of handled it a lot better.  I would never have gone on your cake photo, that you worked so hard on, and pointed out how unethical you were running your business.  I would of sent you a letter and asked if you were aware that it wasn't edible.  I am always about helping others in the industry....that's how I got my start.  I believe in helping each other, not making someone feel bad.  I understand you might not of been singling me out, but this thread started very soon after you made the second comment on my cake....which is how I made that assumption, and I am sure if the roles were reversed, you would of probably come to the same conclusion.  We're all trying to get ahead, and you never know when someone might be having a really bad day and a tough comment can really make them feel bad.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaOK View Post

Sheri-

While I understand your point, you could of handled it a lot better.  I would never have gone on your cake photo, that you worked so hard on, and pointed out how unethical you were running your business.  I would of sent you a letter and asked if you were aware that it wasn't edible.  I am always about helping others in the industry....that's how I got my start.  I believe in helping each other, not making someone feel bad.  I understand you might not of been singling me out, but this thread started very soon after you made the second comment on my cake....which is how I made that assumption, and I am sure if the roles were reversed, you would of probably come to the same conclusion.  We're all trying to get ahead, and you never know when someone might be having a really bad day and a tough comment can really make them feel bad.

Donna, I'm from OK and a big admirer of your cakes.  I saw the comment from Cakepro and thought THAT was unprofessional and uncalled for!   Saying she did it under the guise of 'informing' others is arrogant and the method heavy handed.  There are a gazillion posts about this subject...and yet--even armed with all the food police facts from the helicopter bakers out there--I too am still a DD 'offender'  (gasp) !    Keep doing what you do.  Your work is amazing.

DonnaOK Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 11:11pm

Thank you Carmjiok!  I could point out that luster dust also states on the label it is not edible, but a lot of people use it on their cakes (myself included). It's not my business what anyone else chooses to use on their cakes.  I've done a lot of cakes in my time over a 12 year period.  I chose to use a product that someone else might not use.  They might use something that I would never use.  I'm sure you see what I mean.  Thanks again for your kind words. 
 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 11:22pm

i was talking in general terms upthread--not at or ever directed at a specific person

 

i was careful to not reference anything that could possibly point to the person i know who uses these products

who is not on here either

 

we all make our own decisions

 

over and out

Cakepro Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 11:38pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaOK View Post

...luster dust also states on the label it is not edible, but a lot of people use it on their cakes (myself included).

 

Since we're on the subject, I snapped a quick pic of a jar of luster dust I grabbed out of my stash.  Readers may wish to note the words, "NOT TO BE CONSUMED."

 

 

 

700

FromScratchSF Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 11:57pm

OK all, please take it down a notch.  Informing people is one thing, but bottom line - it's not illegal.  

 

Singling out a particular designer and going as far as leaving negative comments on a photo of their cake does not even come close to meeting CC guidelines.  I've deleted the comments on the photo in question (even those in support of using DD as a rebuttal to the negative comments made).  If I deleted your positive comment, please re-post it removing any mention of the comments that are no longer there.  Hope that makes sense.

 

This is a valuable discussion, so please lets keep everything nice, civil, professional and without personal attacks.

kakeladi Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 4:10am

someone said:...... Most people don't eat the fondant or gumpaste anyway let alone when it's covered in sparkles...........

 

Oh how I tend to disagree w/this statement!  I can't tell you how many times a customer has told me the kids had great fun eating the gumpaste flowers. 

stefkovic Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:16am

just use wiltons pearl dust, it is edible and fda approved, or wiltons cake sparkles-they are made out of dried egg whites and if the flakes are to big crunch them smaller, or sugar crystals, there is some safe to use products that can give you sparkle. and my daughter loves to eat the fondant

cheatize Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:34am

Concerning the thinking that people don't eat that which is not meant to be eaten/is inedible/is not safe for consumption:

 

I delivered a cake tonight. The client was holding extra leaves and petals from the gumpaste lilies on her cake (I always bring extras in case of breakage). A party attendee questioned the client about the flowers. The client says, "It's all edible. Here, taste it. You can eat the whole thing." She then hands and extra petal to the party attendee who proceeds to nibble on it. 

 

I guess the floral taped wrapped wire wasn't enough of a clue that perhaps caution should be used before deciding to ingest it.

 

Additionally, just before this happened, the client watched as I placed the completed flowers into the straw I had placed in the cake. She also listened attentively when I told her to disassemble the cake by removing the flowers and then removing the straw. Why did she think the straw was in there?

tykesmommy Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 5:34am

AI haven't ever used DD personally, but I had planned to try it out since it is so pretty!! Now, ewww! I wouldn't dare feed my kids, myself, a stranger, or anyone else dagum plastic. Shame on the DD companies for making something non edible be so darn pretty!

cazza1 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 7:17am

Most people I know eat fondant.

Lots of people seem very worried about the small amounts of DD being consumed and I'm not saying they shouldn't be but I would be curious to know how many are using shortening/margarines in their buttercreams which are full of trans fats from hydrogenisation and which are extremely bad for peoples health.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%