Feeling A Bit Low About The Whole Cake Decorating Business

Business By SJ-cakeboutique Updated 8 Jan 2013 , 6:52am by LeeAnn

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 3:48pm
post #31 of 44

the genuine misconduct is the use of another's photograph without permission no matter what the content

the emotional matter is the use of the image but that's a non issue, has no merit

knowing that she prolly didn't know makes it a tremendous complement to have your cake chosen as one she'd like to do

no offense to anybody (that cake rocked big time!)

and yes esp since she's a newbie not even pricing right and burnt out already she surely did not know

but she does now~~~~~~~~~~~~~

airplanes take off into the wind, the wind is not at their back pushing,

it is in their face helping them lift off, rise higher,  take flight

and op you can take all this tornado and fly higher going forward

everybody had to learn

(((((big hug)))))

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 4:32pm
post #32 of 44

full disclosure i put wilton wedding cake pictures into a three ring binder in the 70's to show clients--not at all that I did those cakes--with the quality of the printing i never even had to say i din do the cakes--but that those were choices that could me made. and easier to peruse cut out of the yearbooks put into one book.

Wilton was all I knew certainly all that was available to small time cakers when i started--there were no local cake decorating stores, no home printers or copiers or anything like that back then--so i feel it's a perfectly natural thing to do to try & promote your flegling busines--

but now it's so different with all of our easy peasy tools--the rules and ethics are not  included in the instructions for our professional quality printing equipment--and maybe we might wanna be more instructional about that first maybe

and before you condemn me for loving wilton wedding cake pictures--hey they were awesome--never seen anything like that Back Then-- wilton's changed a lot

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 6:49pm
post #33 of 44

I don't mind if someone copies my design it is a compliment.  Taking a photo of mine and passing it off as theirs, big no no.  Another big no no is another baker ordering a decorated cake from you then reselling it as if it was their work!

A local baker in my area who does dessert cakes, pies and cookies wanted to hire me to do wedding cakes since she had limited decorating experience and the one time she did a wedding cake she hated doing it and it took her 20 hours to complete (it was a basketweave cake).  At any rate she said she wanted to buy the cakes from me.  I said it would be better for her just to refer the bride directly to me.  She said she didn't want to do that, and that she wanted a discounted rate and she would sell it to the bride. So I out and out asked her "You mean you want to put your name on my work?"  She said yes, and that she saw no problem with that.  I told her I had a problem with that since she should not get credit or future business off my work. 

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 7:18pm
post #34 of 44

The OP should have contacted the original owner of the picture, asked permission to use it and credited the source if permission had been granted. In addition to that, OP could cite that it was not her work however, she could do something similar.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 8:03pm
post #35 of 44

Watermark everything...But I've had people take photos off of my website and put it on theirs with my watermark still on them, so that doesn't always work.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 10:07pm
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

full disclosure i put wilton wedding cake pictures into a three ring binder in the 70's to show clients--not at all that I did those cakes--with the quality of the printing i never even had to say i din do the cakes--but that those were choices that could me made. and easier to peruse cut out of the yearbooks put into one book.

I read in  those same Wilton yearbooks (1970 through 1976)  that they WANTED decorators to put those pictures into a binder for the customers.  It's not a ripoff when you specifically say it's OK to do that...Old Mr. Wilton knew that he would sell more stuff when he put those yearbooks out.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 10:29pm
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

I read in  those same Wilton yearbooks (1970 through 1976)  that they WANTED decorators to put those pictures into a binder for the customers.  It's not a ripoff when you specifically say it's OK to do that...Old Mr. Wilton knew that he would sell more stuff when he put those yearbooks out.

awesome! and it's really worked out for him

i got to go to wilton's when it was located in roselawn in chicago area in the early 70's

all those beautiful meticulously decorated works of art  pictured in the yearbooks were there in person in these amazing see through cases--

it was the shock and awe of following the yellow royal icing highway to the real oz -<don't mind the man behind the curtain>

<moment of silence>

i mean how were yearbooks even sold--did we send in a check by snailmail? i think so

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 10:34pm
post #38 of 44

AAlthough the OP reportedly has removed her FB page and taken down the stolen images, I'd just like to point out that the OP actually put her own watermark on ALL of the pictures in her collection, INCLUDING those of other decorators.

So, just as a heads-up to you all. This is no inspiration photo/didn't know it was wrong situation. This is someone who deliberately rebadged a cake photo to make it look like HER work.

I am glad to hear OP has rectified the situation. As I do with cake thieves who have stolen my pics, check back on their site from time to time to see if any of your work has returned once the fuss has died down.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 11:52pm
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i mean how were yearbooks even sold--did we send in a check by snailmail? i think so

They advertised in womens magazines.  You sent in $1.00 and it came by mail.  I was shocked when they sent them all the way to Canada for the same $1.00 as long as you sent in the US bill.  Believe it or not...

vietpro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vietpro Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 4:02am
post #40 of 44

costs £30? It's too cheap.

while "tran thach cao" better. ^

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 6:03am
post #41 of 44

Heh heh heh

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 6:19am
post #42 of 44

LOL!!! That pic has been making the rounds today!!!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 6:45am
post #43 of 44

ALOL!!!

Original message sent by Evoir

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2887022/]700 [/URL]   Heh heh heh

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 7:32pm
post #44 of 44

Thank you all so much for your support!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%