Boards

Decorating By holly_diekemper Updated 3 Jan 2013 , 4:08am by AZCouture

holly_diekemper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly_diekemper Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 2:16am
post #1 of 5

Wondering what everyone uses for their cake boards or bases?  I've been using cardboard rounds but they aren't strong enough.  Any help is much appreciated!  Thank you!

4 replies
Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 2:36am
post #2 of 5

I have been using boards with  piece of wax paper on top and covered with foil papers.  I bake mostly for friends and I get those boards back and remove the foils and reuse the boards.  I  have my husband find some boards at the hardware store and he cuts mine out.   However in Nebraska there is a craft store  MANGELSENS that sell them also. check online or local for these.  .   Good luck

hiyanado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hiyanado Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 2:50am
post #3 of 5

i use foam and i cover it with foil

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 3:19am
post #4 of 5

I cut my own boards from 3/16" foamcore using a hot knife (electrified X-acto). 

I don't cover them with anything because I don't want bits of foil, saran, or parchment to come up with the cake after cutting, so I melt some edible soy wax and wipe it on the surface (which I've sanitized using grain alcohol or vanilla extract).  Works great--very sturdy.

Rae

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 4:08am
post #5 of 5

The pretty board, the one you see when the cake is all finished? Or the board beneath each tier? Foam core beneath each tier, and a premade drum from CK Products. Sometimes I cut my own drums from 1/2" foam core too...just depends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%