Iced Cupcakes - Advice Please!

Baking By LauraJo Updated 7 May 2013 , 5:47pm by WiseBaker

LauraJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraJo Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 13

Hi I am having a party for my 2 oldest sons in a couple of weeks and thought to do an iced cupcake in a bag for the kids to take home as the guest list is currently at 96 so would be a help to not have to make such a sizeable Birthday Cake and then cut and wrap and place in the bags on the spot!

Anyway as it is so many cupcakes I was going to bottle out and have a caterer provide them but as it will cost me £96 I was wondering if I could do it myself cheaper. Save the pennies :)

My question is, to make this many I was thinking after icing I would place immediately in the cellophane party bags I had in mind and wrap it all up with ribbon will this be adequate to keep them all fresh? I dont want to do it and then find out that all the cakes are stale! 

I am a single mum to 4 kids so interruptions galore, it would probably take me a while to get 100 done? How long do u think they would last wrapped up like that? 

Thanks x

12 replies
fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 13

AWhat kind of packaging will you be using? Something like this will work great and I think the cupcakes will last at least 2 days...

http://thecraftingchicks.com/2010/07/you-take-the-cake-birthday-cupcake-toppers-cards-free-download.html

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 13

Ahttp://bakebakebake.livejournal.com/3524985.htm. This will be cute for favors too!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 13

i think they could last at the most for two days and still be great.

i kinda got carried away over thinking this for you--but it's what bakers do i guess

that's me anyhow icon_biggrin.gif

that's about 4 recipes or 4 box mixes of cupcakes--it sounds like a ton of work and time but it can go smoothly since you are advance planning

with the ability to mother 4 kids and plan a party for 100 i know you can do half of that at a time the three evenings before the party--and your kids are old enough to help maybe?

• so have all shopping completed
  • have big plastic bags & containers to store ingredients so you can prepare them in advance
  • get all the containers ready to store 100 cupcakes, boxes, plastic containers
  • if you are transporting them prepare the car now
  • level the seat
  • clean out the trunk

so three to four days ahead:

• make all icing and if you are going to pipe the icing on, even get the icing into piping bags
  • mise en place or prepare all your ingredients for the cakes--just don't combine everything yet
  • combine your ingredients to store in the most logical way
  • if you are creaming butter and sugar and beating in eggs--do that now--package it up in the frige in two packages of 50 cupcakes each
  • measure all the dry ingredients & store into 50 cupcake amounts
  • measure all the other wet ingredients & store into 50 cupcake pakgs
  • if you're doing box mixes, just store all the measured liquids measured & crack the eggs
  • get the kids to paper the cupcake pans & stack them up in a crisscross

two days ahead

• bake 50 cuppies, ice them, store them altogether
  • place a slice of bread in each container--the bread will dry and the cupcakes will absorb the mosture --a little insurance there

one day ahead

• bake the other half, ice them store them

day of

• bag them up

Happy Birthday to YOU, sweetest 100 cupcake Mom ever!!! birthday.gif

LauraJo Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 13

Yes I thought so too, maybe pop a lollypop inside aswell or a pack of love hearts?

They will be in cellophane party bags, I saw a listing on Ebay for them relatively cheap.

Just the plain blue cello bags that come with a tie and then thought I would tie it with ribbon aswell? 

LauraJo Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks thats great! Very detailed especially for someone who has only ever made about 48 max! I am a little daunted! Especially with the time it will take to decorate them! Eeek! 

Love the bread trick will definately do that!

Thanks x

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 13

this is double work to tie then ribbon

idea is to use curling ribbon in the first place then you're only handling them all once and it looks pretty without actually making a bow

just a gentle curling ribbon will be pretty--no need to really take the time to curl it (where you swipe it with a straight edge) but if you do want it curly--do the strip of ribbon before tying it on--so you save half the effort.

once and done

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 3:46am
post #8 of 13

If I were you, I would plan on having EVERYTHING done at least 24 hours before the party.

Use your flat iron to heat-seal the bags and be done with it. :D

peanut61062 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut61062 Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 9:28am
post #9 of 13

AEasily doable make 2 dozen at a time that will allow you either 2 or 4 flavors after you have baked them all store them on racks or in plastic bags once cooled. Use a simple swirl method wvyour choice of color swirl let icing set and place in ti go container total project time 72 hrs 3 days lol

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 13

i been thinking about this and i get plenty tired of handling 100 pieces of cake by the time i'm done

perhaps you could even get the party munchkins to place the cake in their own bag

if you ran out of time--no harm in that--a little wiggle room maybe for you

so you can err on the side of nice & fluffy fresh

i like to use an instant read thermometer too to see when they're done

hope it turns out great!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 13

Fully iced cupcakes freeze beautifully (and thaw beautifully) in Sterilite modular 10G boxes (available at Wal-Mart).   I LOVE these things for that purpose: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-10-Gallon-Stacker-Storage-Bins-Clear-Nickel-Set-of-6/17164513

Mel SugarMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel SugarMama Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 6:02am
post #12 of 13

100 cupcakes is a lot!

What I would suggest is don't use frosted icing and then put in a bag - it will just be a mess - what you need to do is make domed tops in fondant and put a little frosting underneath. This will give a mush neater giveaway.

To see what I mean by domed  - http://www.facebook.com/SugarandSpiceCelebrationCakes?ref=hl#!/photo.php?fbid=513981761958279&set=a.411477572208699.95546.411460042210452&type=1&theater

cheers Mel SugarMama

www.facebook.com/sugarandspicecelebrationcakes

WiseBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WiseBaker Posted 7 May 2013 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 13

I don't have a suggestion for the OP, I just wanted to thank K8Memphis for your helpful suggestions! I have never made cupcakes in large portions before but have to make over 100 for next weekend, so your advice was helpful to me too, especially the day-by-day schedule of what to do when!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%