I bought the letter molds a couple of weeks back, and only went to use them for the new year's cake that I was making. I decided to look onto the forums after having a heap of trouble getting the fondant out, and read that everyone was having the same trouble.
I found though (through my wife's fabulous suggestion) that a light smear of vegetable oil in the mold, and then placing the completed letters onto paper napkins (paper towel) worked very well, easy to lift out and there was no oil residue on the letters after leaving them on the napkin. I think in future I would prefer a cutter of some kind, but after spending cash on the molds I was determined to find a solution.
I hope this may help others.
Just found another thread that suggests freezing, and they will pop straight out. This would definitely be preferable to using oil.
Great tip, I will give this a try! I have some that I've tried to use a number of times with vegetable fat (trex) or flour, but to no avail.
AI have these molds and had the HARDEST time getting the letters out too! I ended up spraying the molds with a baking spray (sold at stop n shop or even a vegetable oil or cooking spray would work.) I then pressed the fondant in firmly and assure clean lettering. and froze them for about 10 min. they popped right now!
AAre you talking about the purple silicone alphabet molds? I put them in the freezer and the letters come out fine. I do not use any oil. You just bend the silicone after they are frozen and the letters pop out.
AI just bought these molds on clearance at Wal-Mart. Those of you who say you freeze them, where you using mmf? I'm worried my mmf will get too sticky from humidity. I have to use them this Friday for a cake.