Happy New Year! Share Your Best Cake From 2012!

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 7 Jan 2013 , 9:02pm by millie08

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 4:50pm
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Just sayin, I'm happy a few of you posted some of my favorite cakes that YOU did so I could get them on my Pinterest.  I get to refer back to them and and steal from them heavily now.

Fist pump!

Ha! - I already pinned the jeweled cake.

Jeanne

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 4:51pm
post #32 of 72

I'd say these two were pretty successful projects. Not pretty ones, but technically challenging. Banana cake bread and fondant details.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 5:17pm
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

"Are YOU a TURTLE?"

"You bet your sweet <Equus asinius> I am!"

what is this quote from??? i'm not recognizing it

teenage mutant ninja turtles maybe?????

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 6:07pm
post #34 of 72

Ahttp://cakecentral.com/g/i/2877976/a/3277979/hedwig-made-of-gumpaste/

This is my favorite as it was done for Icing Smiles. The recipient was an older sister of an adorable little boy with half of a heart. When I got it set up he sat back and said "Perfect!" That made it all worth the 150+ hours I invested in it! The finished cake is the second photo in line :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 6:14pm
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseynh 

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2877976/a/3277979/hedwig-made-of-gumpaste/
This is my favorite as it was done for Icing Smiles. The recipient was an older sister of an adorable little boy with half of a heart. When I got it set up he sat back and said "Perfect!" That made it all worth the 150+ hours I invested in it!
The finished cake is the second photo in line icon_smile.gif

wow--what a ton of love went into that exquisite creation

sniff

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 6:22pm
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

what is this quote from??? i'm not recognizing it

teenage mutant ninja turtles maybe?????

It's an allusion to an informal drinking society that originated among military and naval pilots, involving being able to give the "clean" answer to questions with obvious "dirty" answers, and asking each other the "Are YOU a TURTLE" challenge question (if you are, you are honor-bound to give the answer, loudly enough to be heard by everybody in the room, or to buy everybody in the room a drink).

Except that when shouting out the response to the challenge question, you don't say "Equus asinius"; you use the 3-letter word for a donkey.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_Club (original post updated with link).

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 6:51pm
post #37 of 72

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

wow--what a ton of love went into that exquisite creation

sniff

Thank you K8memphis, I can't wait to be called to do another one!

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 3:47am
post #38 of 72

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

I'd say these two were pretty successful projects. Not pretty ones, but technically challenging. 

Omg. Those are amazing!!!

Amy7373 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy7373 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 4:28am
post #39 of 72

I am very much a beginner and almost feel unworthy posting my pics here after some of the beautiful works of art above! I only joined the site yesterday and can already see that I'm going to become well and truly addicted! Anyhoo, here are my two favourites for 2012 (I must learn to take photos with my camera instead of my phone - apologies for the average shots)...

Lolah's 1st Birthday This is my favourite cake to date! Gluten free chocolate with raspberry frosting inside.

This is my most recent cake - a gluten free mud for a beautiful Christmas Eve birthday girl. The design is my own with some inspiration from Google Images! The inside was frosted with raspberry buttercream and I'm told the birthday girl's sister has been eating the frosting and fondant and handing it back to Mum, requesting another 'piece'! I just loved the bright colours and was plased with how my punt at drawing the 'buzz lines' came off!

Rethus Wedding Handmade flowers on both cutting cake and 120 mud cupcakes. Much improved on my first attempt!

This is my second wedding cake, made for a friend's brother and his bride in November. The flowers were all handmade which is what made it so special to me - I hadn't done much like that before. The angle of the photo skews it somewhat (the flowers on the top weren't in a straight line from front on - more of a 'cascade'). The day was a scorcher so my sister and I delivered it an hour and a half from home with the air con up as far as it could go (we were both frozen by the time we arrived but the cakes were all ok and that's the main thing!). 120 mud cupcakes, a 6" cutting cake and a mention in the groom's speech - you have to be happy with that!  

cakeycurious1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeycurious1 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 4:33am
post #40 of 72

AI have not dabbled in decorating AT ALL...but you guys artwork and decorating skills are amazing!! Keep up the great work!

RebecaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebecaR Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 4:37am
post #41 of 72

This cake was made for my dad's birthday. It was my first time making royal icing transfers on a cake. Even though my the transfers came out a little clumpy and Mighty Mouse's tail broke, I still consider it my favorite cake of 2012. icon_biggrin.gif

funnyhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funnyhome Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 5:14am
post #42 of 72

thank you, i will regard it as a good idea ___________________________________________ like shopping when i have a good time

[url=http://www.topgw2gold.com/CD-Key/]Guild wars 2 KEY[/url]|[url=http://www.vipdiablo3gold.com/]Diablo 3 Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.rsgold2buy.com/]Runescape Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.d3face.com/]Cheap Diablo 3 Gold[/url]

funnyhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funnyhome Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 5:15am
post #43 of 72

i am a player for game, if you also like, you can clik the following website, more excited enjoyable game welcome you to here

[url=http://www.rsgold2buy.com/]Buy Runescape Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.d3face.com/]Cheap Diablo 3 Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.topgw2gold.com/]Cheap Guild Wars 2 Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.rsgold2buy.com/]RS Gold[/url]

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 3:57pm
post #44 of 72

This was my favorite in 2012. I made this for a very close family friend.

This was inspired by a picture the bride found online. Buttercream frosting with fondant ribbon. Gumpaste flowers.

I also made cookie favors to match the cake. I tried to match it as best I could, looking back I should have made the cookie look more round, but they were very happy with them and so was I.

These were made as favors to match the wedding cake.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 2:19pm
post #45 of 72

I made this cake for my cousin's baby shower.  I am one of the godmothers of her new baby.  I learned this technique on MyCakeSchool.  I really liked how it came out.

SugarSweetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 12:59am
post #47 of 72

Wow, so many amazing cakes, i wish this site had "likes" I would have handed out a huge amount in this thread!!!

I only started doing Custom Cakes in 2012, so still a long way to go for me, here is one I liked from earlier last year...

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 1:25am
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimdarella 

Wow, so many amazing cakes, i wish this site had "likes" I would have handed out a huge amount in this thread!!!

I only started doing Custom Cakes in 2012, so still a long way to go for me, here is one I liked from earlier last year...

You just got pinned my friend!  Great cake!

Kimdarella Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 1:45am
post #49 of 72

OH wow.. I feel so honoured! :D

Thanks FromScratch!!! I am going to be pinning a number from this thread, your absolute STUNNER cityscape included, best Topsy Turvy cake I have ever seen! 

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 1:48am
post #50 of 72

Th1000

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 1:50am
post #51 of 72

The turtle was fun to make! The 50th anniversary cake was made for a couple I love dearly.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 1:56am
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimdarella 

OH wow.. I feel so honoured! :D

Thanks FromScratch!!! I am going to be pinning a number from this thread, your absolute STUNNER cityscape included, best Topsy Turvy cake I have ever seen! 

Wow thanks!  Now if I can get on Cake Wrecks (in a good way LOL).

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:00am
post #53 of 72

Now, keep in mind I have not done many cakes the last few years, maybe 4-5 a year and usually rushed.  Not only have I not been able to learn any new skills, my hands are getting shaky & my eyesight not so good, so my piping is not anywhere near as precise as it used to be :(  This cake for the a friend of mine's daughter's 16th birthday.  I tend to prefer natural colors, so I wasn't sure how the cake would look with the more vibrant colors she requested, but I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out.  Some shells are white chocolate, and some are fondant.  The coral is either royal icing or chocolate.  The guests refused to eat the shells because they thought they were real. 

Kimdarella Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:02am
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Wow thanks!  Now if I can get on Cake Wrecks (in a good way LOL).

haha.. yeah no one wants to get on Cake Wrecks in a bad way :p hehehe

Your work is amazing, I am sure you will make it to Sunday Sweets!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 2:13am
post #55 of 72

These were my 2 favorites for 2012.  Designed them myself rather than copying so got a lot of satisfaction out of doing both.  The dragon cake was for my Dad's 80th birthday and I wanted something that alluded to how ancient he was.  Christmas can hover around 40C where I live and the ocean is across the road

SOS Save Our Santa

so I quite often make Santa cakes associated with the beach.

jmabaxter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmabaxter Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 3:55pm
post #56 of 72

Such beautiful cakes in this thread!!  It was hard for me to pick a favorite that I've done this year.....they're each special to me!!  Here are 2 of my favorites

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 5:00pm
post #57 of 72

This was my favorite. I was given complete design control of this cake. The bride told me the cake was to be vintage theme with soft pink and cream colors. She sent over a picture of her dress, and a few other accent pieces for the wedding and this is what I came up with! Everyone LOVED it! I get to re-create similar designs again a few times for the 2013 wedding season,

Thanks for looking

BCWishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCWishes Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 7:51pm
post #58 of 72

A[IMG][IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2887405/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Three of my favorites...just started in November.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 8:02pm
post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabaxter 

Such beautiful cakes in this thread!!  It was hard for me to pick a favorite that I've done this year.....they're each special to me!!  Here are 2 of my favorites

Hey, I saw that cowboy cake on Cake Wrecks the other day, as the "what the customer ordered" (but not what they got!).  Really cute cakes!

Littleladybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Littleladybird Posted 5 Jan 2013 , 8:05pm
post #60 of 72

I had just started making cakes 2 months before I made this cake last Easter (2012).  I still love this cake400

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%