Cupcake Freshness

Baking By Izzy Sweet Updated 2 Jan 2013 , 4:39am by mskessa

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 11

How long should a cupcake stay moist ? How many days can a cupcake sit out in open air envorioment on a counter before it starts to dry out (even on the inside) ?

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 11

it just depends on the recipe and the environment

for home use i'd say a coupla days unwrapped--by 3rd day you would notice the drying beginning i think

but they basically start 'going stale' the moment they cool off i guess

it just depends on how fast the process is (going stale aka drying out) as to how much we still want to eat it or

how 'sale-able' it is

our (good) cupcake stores here bake and sell same day and start all over again for the next day

Izzy Sweet Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 11

Our enviroment here changes daily but right now it is all heated homes by either gas or electric. Right now we are buried in snow lol.

One more question then i will leave everyone alone, Is there a certain type that stays fresh longer example Devils food, sponge etc.. or an ingredient that helps ?

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 11

interesting question.

of course foremost to the most delicious cupcake ever to me is muy careful baking--I've been using a quick read thermometer for good results 'cause it's hard to tell with pin point accuracy that i think i need with ccakes

i think a little baby food applesauce  like even a tablespoon or so really helps enhance the moisture factor w/o much detectable flavor -- sub for equal part of the fat

some people bake cake with mayonaise--was all the rage back a few decades ago

i think sour cream in there helps

but careful careful baking to me is the biggest thing

if there's any interest in any of the above it is google-able --and i generally use those one at a time not all at once

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 11

AThe best way to answer this question is by testing for yourself. Make several cupcakes and leave them out, trying one cupcake every day to check the quality. Repeat for each recipe you want to test.

Keeping them frozen if they will be served or sold more than a couple days after baking is usually the best bet.

Izzy Sweet Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

interesting question.

of course foremost to the most delicious cupcake ever to me is muy careful baking--I've been using a quick read thermometer for good results 'cause it's hard to tell with pin point accuracy that i think i need with ccakes

i think a little baby food applesauce  like even a tablespoon or so really helps enhance the moisture factor w/o much detectable flavor -- sub for equal part of the fat

some people bake cake with mayonaise--was all the rage back a few decades ago

i think sour cream in there helps

but careful careful baking to me is the biggest thing

if there's any interest in any of the above it is google-able --and i generally use those one at a time not all at once

Great thank you.

In some of my recipes i have used sour cream, never the babyfood applesauce.I am going to try that.

Izzy Sweet Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you Jason

I have tried several cupcakes and have left them out for 2 days now lol. I have bought a couple from other shops around too and have left them out too. I guess because I want to be top notch I want to know how long average wise everyone elses last so I can adjust my recipes and such to get the average. This is also going to be used for contract purposes too.After reading through the posts like i have been for days I realize I need to adjust my contracts for a couple things( when I can get the average down).

Keep the suggestions coming, I love to experiment ;)

Izzy Sweet Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 11

K8 I have replied to you but it has to go through approval because I am so new here and i used the quotes lol...so i will just say it here instead of waiting , I use sour cream in some of my recipes but have never tried the babyfood applesauce..That sounds like something i just might try. Right now I am getting 2 days before my cupcakes inside start to dry.That is using a tad more oil and sour cream.If it has pineapple in anyway I get so much more time lol obviously. Today i will try the babyfood applesauce.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 11

cool cool

i think i have some n the cupboard if you wanna stop by

icon_biggrin.gif

Izzy Sweet Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 11

Lol sure I will be right over ;)

mskessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskessa Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 4:39am
post #11 of 11

I use oil, egg whites, and after my cupcakes cool from the oven, I put them in plastic cupcake containers. I have had a cupcake four days later and it is still fresh. The more air gets to them, the faster they will dry out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%