Cleaning An Airbrush

Decorating By Texan Aunt Updated 10 Aug 2013 , 7:01pm by CakeByNature

Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 12:00am
post #1 of 7

I just got a pretty basic airbrush for Christmas, and I live in an area with hardwater. What is the best way to clean it without using a hard alchol because I don't want to have hardwater build up in my airbrush? Or should I use a cleaner, if so which one? Thanks!

6 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 5:48am
post #2 of 7

Well, if you don't want to use alcohol (and you probably don't want to even think about using paint thinner to clean an airbrush that's going to be used on anything edible; that would definitely not be "Good Eats"), how about distilled or deionized water?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 6:59am
post #3 of 7

AWhat about rubbing alcohol? Will that work?

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 7:37am
post #4 of 7

Annabakescakes is on the money - you can use rubbing alcohol, or Isoproponol, to clean your airbrush. After you use it with food colouring, rinse and spray using distilled water (can be purchased at the grocery store) and finally rinse and spray with the isoproninol. HTH.

Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much guys! I think that will work:)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Jan 2013 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

AI have hard water too, and hate to think of it sitting in my airbrush (it was an expensive one) so I run vodka through, since I use it for my luster dusts, but rubbing should dry faster, so I may try it myself, since it is so much cheaper, and dries faster:-)

CakeByNature Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeByNature Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 7

KopyKake sell Kroma Kolor airbrush cleaner, which is specially designed for the safe cleaning of airbrushes used within the food industry and is available locally.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%