Which Buttercream For Crumb Coat/fondant Issues

Decorating By lucieland Updated 31 Dec 2012 , 6:16am by Annabakescakes

lucieland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucieland Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 4:22am
post #1 of 3

Hi, can anyone help me!! Currently I use the crisco crusting buttercream for everything as it is so yummy, but I am having a huge issue using it for a crumb coat, I cannot get it to firm up in the fridge, and then it lets the fondant slip when I put it on, causing many many issues, and re rolling of fondant. Also do people put the fondant in the fridge before using to stop it stretching and cracking/splitting as easy. Sorry for all the questions, but I am fairly new to this, and I am trying to increase my portfolio!!!

Thank you so so much
Lucie

2 replies
mpaulson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaulson Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 5:40am
post #2 of 3

Hi there.  I've never made the "crisco crusting" buttercream but I can't imagine a buttercream that fondant would *fail* to adhere to!  The buttercream just needs to be a little tacky for the fondant to stick to it.  I use mostly Italian Meringue buttercream so you might try that...but given that you're also having issues with cracking/splitting, it may be that the issue is with the fondant.  You should definitely avoid putting fondant in the refrigerator - condensation will kill it when you remove it from there.  The trick with fondant is to make sure you knead it enough prior to rolling it out and then working quickly to roll it out and apply it to your cake.  Hope that helps.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 6:15am
post #3 of 3

AI have a hard time with crisco and yummy in the same sentence ;-) but crisco doesn't get hard like butter, so maybe you could do half butter and half crisco? It will firm up, definitely. And taste way better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%