Advice Needed For 3D Tire Cake

Decorating By classymama Updated 3 May 2013 , 11:03pm by RobynRas

classymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classymama Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 2:53am
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone! I need some tips on making a 3d Tire Cake that is standing up. It's for an upcoming grooms cake and I'm a little concerned about it being secure to stand.

Thanks,

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 3:18am
post #2 of 15

What kind of tire? car, bicycle, tractor?

-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 3:31am
post #3 of 15

Oh and how big--do you have any parameters like so many servings or anything like that. How big is the bride's cake--yah don't want the tire to be bigger or anything like that generally the bride's cake is bigger more or less. And what kind of cake? what flavor?

This is exciting.

classymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classymama Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 15

This is the cake she is wanting.

thanks,

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 15

I think that I would stack and carve cakes, with dowels supporting every 4 inches of cake and two dowels put through the whole thing.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 15

I made a tire cake several years ago.  I stacked rectangular layers, then carved the tire shape.  I used my template to determine the sizes of the boards in between.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 15

Wow, Diane, muy  awesome!! vroom vroom

-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 15

For some reason if I was doing this tire cake, I'd do candy clay, aka modeling choco--at least in a combination witk fondant if not all chococlay. I think at least to reduce the pull down from the fondant.  it's so forgiving. It has the potential to make more of a case around it.  I don't know--random thought.

And I would toy with the idea of a foam or foam core center slid in there like a vinyl record stood on it's edge with the cake stacked up on either side. To offset the loss of any tapering--the tier cake tapers on top--the tire is big and bulky on top. I don't know--depends on how big it is I guess. It would feel better come delivery time. I would toy with that idea but not for sure if yes or no.

But don't forget I'm a credentialed over thinker.  icon_biggrin.gif

Awesome cake job!!!

-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2012 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 15

(skipping capital letters & please forgive typos--typing lefty today)

yeah I would give that a hard thought. because think of an oreo cookie being an example of the tire cake--where the cake is the brown cookie and the foamor foam core is cut in the same shape as the oreo icing in the middle of coure. I would cover each 'cookie' separate w/ chococlay--and keep that baby chilly willy to get that stuff to set that cocoa butter asap--then roll out the piece of chococlay where-the -rubber-meets-the-road where the tread is on the tire--and you about eliminate/reduce your shrinkage from the blob of fondant

the-en you can smooth out the 'join' with the heat of your hand and also disquiose it in the tread design.

And you can make a superbly secure structure that you can deliver without worry--anchor that oreo icing section down into a foam base or whatever.

no extra charge for over thinking it for you  icon_biggrin.gif

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 15

Diane,

Did you use fondant or chocolate to cover the tire?

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 15

How did your tire cake turn out?

I'm doing the same one next week!

DianeLM Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIEQZ 

Diane,

Did you use fondant or chocolate to cover the tire?

I used Satin Ice chocolate fondant. So, "yes". ;)

RobynRas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynRas Posted 3 May 2013 , 12:06am
post #13 of 15

ADIane may I ask how many layers and about how high this cake was? Have request for a stand up tire cake for a wedding. You did awesome!

DianeLM Posted 3 May 2013 , 12:16pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynRas 

DIane may I ask how many layers and about how high this cake was? Have request for a stand up tire cake for a wedding. You did awesome!

The cake was only four (or possibly five) layers high. According to my notes, it was two 10x15's halved, stacked and carved. I know there was at least one board in the middle.

I made this cake in 2006, so my recollection isn't that great. The way my mind works, ask me in 10 years and I'll remember every single detail. LOL

RobynRas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynRas Posted 3 May 2013 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 15

ANo problem I appreciate your reply. Thanks very much I will see if they go with me on this. Your creations are great even had the tread detail!,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%