Modeling Chocolate Help

Baking By idgalpal Updated 30 Dec 2012 , 8:12pm by jgifford

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 3

I followed a u-tube tutorial to the letter for making modeling chocolate  - I used a scale so my measurements were accurate - 1 pound chocolate to 5.65 oz of corn syrup. I used Wilton candy melts. I left it at room temperature overnight and it doesn't seem hard enough. Can I add more melted chocolate to it at this point? Or what can I do, if anything to get the consistency correct? TIA

2 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 3

Just watched another u-tube video, and it sounds like you need to add more corn syrup to stiffen it up. I wouldn't have thought this would do it, but I'll give it a try

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 3

Most recipes for modeling chocolate call for too much corn syrup, and more won't fix it.  I don't know that you can add more melted chocolate now, but you can add fondant to it to stiffen it up.

My favorite recipe is 1/2 cup corn syrup to 24 oz melted almond bark. Once it's cool enough to handle, I pick it up and knead the excess oil out of it.  It makes a mess and uses a lot of paper towels, but it keeps it from being really oily. Then I let it sit overnight, or at least a couple of hours. It's still not going to be stiff enough to make figures without adding fondant or gumpaste to it, but it's perfect for covering a cake. I never cover a cake with fondant anymore.

Also, once it's made, treat it just like fondant. I don't ever refrigerate my modeling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%