Please Help, What Technique Is Being Used?

Decorating By Stacy3927 Updated 30 Dec 2012 , 3:00am by megpi

Stacy3927 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 12:48am
post #1 of 7


This cake was made for a friend of mine.  Can someone please tell me what technique is used on this cake.  I don’t understand how the icing inside is so smooth and how to get it that way.  This cake is all buttercream icing and no fondant.  This cake was awesome but would I love know how this person does this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

6 replies
Izzy Sweet Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 1:08am
post #2 of 7

I am wondering if they applied the buttercream base then refridgerated it than rolled it lightly..I am sure someone very much more skilled can answer this. Sorry

wildflowercakes Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 1:13am
post #3 of 7

My first thought is it was airbrushed but looking a little closer there is a shadow around part of the figure so I think it is raised a little. It could have been done with the color flow method. 

savannahquinn Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 1:13am
post #4 of 7

AnnieCahill Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 1:16am
post #5 of 7

Look up buttercream transfer.  The same effect can be achieved using white chocolate/candy melts.

josefina20 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 1:32am
post #6 of 7

 Wilton Youtube Video 

How to Create a Frozen Buttercream Transfer.

megpi Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 3:00am
post #7 of 7

Looks like it was just piped on then smoothed out with a small offset spatula. If you don't have much experience doing that, just do the transfer, it'll probably be easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%