Valentine Day Ideas For Seniors

Lounge By sweetie112 Updated 30 Dec 2012 , 7:49pm by -K8memphis

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 7

I was asked to come up with an activity for residents at a nursing home for Valentine's Day.

The activity/craft must be food related.

Any suggestions?????

Thanks

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 7

How agile are their hands? Maybe provide stencils to lay on the nice flat bottom of a cookie. Brush the stencil with piping gel and sprinkle with colored sugar. Provide m&m's & skittles & maybe some glaze in piping bags so they can apply candy & stuff. Y'know you could let them spread a thin glaze witha brush too--would taste better. Make sure it doesn't run. But piping gel would be a sure thing. Maybe sweeten or flavor the pg.

(Hell I could hardly do that today :) hahahayeahnotfunny icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 7

Oh, they would a real kick out of the kinds of cut out confetti you can get in bottles now. And cinnamon red hot borders around heart shaped cookies.

If you piped some little bitty royal icing red roses or drop flowers--you could even pipe crusting buttercream rose buds and roses and stuff --they will set up nicely and they can place them on cookies or cupcakes.

You could do some arrows through the cupcake top like cupid does arrows--thick spaghetti and even paper cut outs on the ends for the bow and the tail.

How sweet of you to get to do this. They are gonna love this!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 7

Don't know how intricate you wanna get but you could do heart cookies on a stick and have prepared some little plant pots, the terra cotta pots already fitted with foam inside and they could decorate the cookie and stick it in the pot. The least dexterous amongst them could still take'home' a cool project and depending on how many residents you could have one for all the rest of them. Make sure they're balanced and not top heavy of course.

Just brainstorming type ideas.

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 7

THANK YOU for the replies so far.  Really good ideas.  I have to work through all of the steps of you suggestions to see if it can be done by all participants. 

If there are any more ideas/suggestions I would appreciate hearing about it.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

A little 'rustic'. I put the shabby in shabby chic. Maybe I should use a ruler next time...icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, on the chocolate, you make two halves and splice them together to make each chess piece.

And it's a chess board 'cookie'. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks You're sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%