Hi Girls, Need Help With 2 Tier Cake, Delivery Etc....

Decorating By lovechocolate Updated 23 Jan 2013 , 9:16pm by lovechocolate

lovechocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovechocolate Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 9

HI there, ok, so I have made 2 and 3 tier cakes before but they have never traveled before and never 45 mins away.  My friend is picking up so I think I am more nervous as I won't be holding cake, lol. So question for all you wood dowel girls...

1 did you put one large wooden dowel through the cake(cake will be 3 -9"rounds on bottom and 2- 6"top)

2 did you put a hole through the cake plate first or did you hammer it in? nervous about that.....

3 do you NOT cover cardboard cake plates....

3 any ideas welcome to stabilize cake for transport would be sooo appreciated 

thanks,

Maria

8 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 9

AI honestly don't see the point in a central dowel. I've delivered 2 and 3 tier cakes without the dowel before and haven't had a hiccup. I put dowels in each tier but never one through both. Maybe it's to do with UK cake cardboards as we can buy them pre made and they're quite sturdy.

Anyway, if you want total reassurance, a lot of people on here swear by SPS - single place system/separator can't remember what the last s stands for.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 12:09am
post #3 of 9

ACan you ask your friend to bring someone to hold the cake?

Otherwise, place cake on a nonslip mat in a box on another non-slip mat and transport this on the floor of the car (front passenger foot well or behind front seat on the floor). Tell your friend to drive as if there were a newborn unrestrained in their back seat.

I do centre dowel my tall cakes, I just hammer through cakes and boards from the top, using a sharpened 10mm dowel. Patch up the top hole. Advise friend on how to pull it apart to serve it.

Make friend sign off on cake saying it was received in perfect condition!

lovechocolate Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 2:14am
post #4 of 9

thank you girls sooo much for the replies , I truly appreciate it....sorry to bug you again, when u do use the central dowel do you cut a hole in the cake board before you put it under cake so when you hammer it in, it just goes in easy?? also to keep cake stable do you just use some buttercream before you place top tier? thanks again and yes I agree lol about traveling with newborn lol

thanks again everyone...

ps people refer to the central dowel as a skewer, like for chicken...Michaels craft store does not sell, where do you purchase ?thanks again

Maria

lovechocolate Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 2:14am
post #5 of 9

thank you so much!

lovechocolate Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 2:15am
post #6 of 9

thanks so much, I guess I am just nervous about the top tier sliding or something God forbid, thanks again

jaja310 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaja310 Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 3:54am
post #7 of 9

If the cake is traveling, I always insert a center dowel, not a skewer. Skewers are very small and aren't as strong. The center dowel provides support so that if the buttercream starts to soften, the top tier won't slide. I don't cover my cardboard rounds as they are made for cake and have their own coating on them. I also do not make a hole in the cardboard before I put the dowel in. If you sharpen the dowel nicely with a pencil type sharpener, then it will go through the cardboard easily.  I usually push it through the cake until it hits the cardboard, then tap it gently until it goes through the board. I also usually use either a carboard or foam core cake drum. That way I can push the center dowel into it to furter anchor the cake.  Good Luck!

lovechocolate Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 4:37am
post #8 of 9

thanks again! I soo appreciate it...see I would have never thought to just sharpen the dowel! thanks! Maria

lovechocolate Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 9

Hi there, I just wanted to say hi and thanks to all for the help with my 2 tier cake. I am soo happy to say, I delivered the cake about 35-40 mins away and it arrived totally safe. I was sooooo happy. I was able to put the lollipop toppers I made on the cake at the venue. I was still shaking, ha ha

. If I figure out I will post a pic, lol.

Thanks again,

Maira

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%