What Would You Be Willing To Pay...

Decorating By TamiAZ Updated 10 Jan 2013 , 3:57pm by Charmed

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 9

I'm walking away from cake decorating and will be getting ready to have a garage sell.. I'm trying to price my supplies. I want to sell, but I don't want to give it away either..I've paid good money for what I have.

If you went to a garage sell, what would you pay for molds, cutters. cake decorating magazine, etc..?

If there was a gumpaste mold with the original price tag that showed $15.00, would you by 6.00 for it?

How much would you pay for an American Cake Decorating magazine? $1.00??

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Ebay might be a better way to go..

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 9

My rule of thumb would be half price for gently used and then wiggle it back & forth from there. Half price minus 10% for well used. Half price plus 10%  for new items. Magazines might go well as a set or in bulk I think.

Ebay 'buy it now' maybe.

Best of luck to you.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 9

Don't want to squash your enthusiasm but I did the same thing.  Tried to sell cake stuff by bringing it to an ICES event where everyone sells their gently used cake stuff to other cake decorators - didn't work.  Had to practically give it away because (as we all know) cake decorators who have been in business for a while already have too much to begin with and they are trying to get rid of their things too.  We also tried selling pans on eBay but because of the economy - everyone is pretty scared and they're holding onto their wallets tightly.  Ended up donating it to our church's annual yard sale.  Wish you all the luck and let us know how it went.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks, Ladies..I appreciate your input.

Denise, what were you selling? The basic stuff or did you try to sell any gumpaste molds, cutters..etc. I'm going to advertise the heck out of our garage sale and give it a shot. I'm also going to put a flyer at our local culinary school. I can't believe how much stuff I have.. I even found a full 4oz jar of super pearl that I forgot I had.. 20 years of playing! :)

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 9

I would be interested in knowing what molds you are selling.  I would pay half price.   If you put together a list let me know.

tabathaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabathaba Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 9

Ebay definitely for any specialty stuff. I would do the yard sale first and then Ebay what's left. It's hard to get the kind of people who know what the value of your cake supplies are at a yard sale.

With ebay, I would look at what is selling and how they list the items (what categories and how they word the title) and model your listing after the ones that are already selling. You would be surprised how much of a difference it makes when your listing is worded correctly. Otherwise it just gets lost and no one ever sees it.

tabathaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabathaba Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 9

I am actually looking for gumpaste cutters for flowers and any supplies (foam mats, drying boards and molds, etc). I have zero and am wanting to start working with gumpaste roses specifically. Message me if you have any of the above and I would be interested in purchasing.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 9

Put together a list for the local culinary school, post it to the student boards.  They will show up for sure. Half price for them would be a great deal.

Ebay will get you more $$ when you take a clear pic with the actual condition visible. Also save yourself some work by bundling several similar items into one listing.  People actually pay good $$$ for full years of magazines.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 9

If you have a list of your molds and cutters maybe you could send it to me?  let me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%