Buttercream

Decorating By Ceyda Updated 29 Dec 2012 , 4:28pm by Ceyda

Ceyda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ceyda Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 12

AHow to make a not-too sweet thick buttercream?

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 12

For an American buttercream you mean?

Use buttermilk for the liquid & add some salt.

Ceyda Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 1:03am
post #3 of 12

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2881903/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This is the cake with cream cheese frosting. However it was melting down while piping :( so couldnt make nice roses :(

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 2:32am
post #4 of 12

Cr ch icing is hard to work with. If you have warm hands it will melt in the bag :(    W/0 the recipe it is hard for us to help you other than in general ideas.

"Regular" American (Crisco &/or butter) icing is easier to work with. 

Icing is *suppose* to be sweet.  That is the nature of it.  Some people add some salt to help cut the sweetness.  Never thought of using buttermilk but that sounds like a good idea.

Ozabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ozabby Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 2:37am
post #5 of 12

AI always use an Italian meringue buttercream. Less sweet, a little more time consuming, but stands up quite well in the Australian heat.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 5:05am
post #6 of 12

Look up the "Crusting Cream Cheese" icing recipe here.  It's awesome, can be smoothed easily and withstands piping beautifully.  I happened to do this cake today using it. 

Ceyda Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 10:30am
post #7 of 12

A

Original message sent by Cakepro

Look up the "Crusting Cream Cheese" icing recipe here.  It's awesome, can be smoothed easily and withstands piping beautifully.  I happened to do this cake today using it. 

[ATTACHMENT=145]cream cheese caramel cake.jpg (1,557k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Thanks I ll def try it. Btw, your cake looks awesome. How long have you been making cakes?

Cakepro Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks!  I've been doing cakes for 16 years. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro 

Omg, I need some dessert quick and it ain't even noon. What a stunner creation.

drool drool

Ceyda Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 12

A

Original message sent by Cakepro

Thanks!  I've been doing cakes for 16 years. 

Wow! 16 years! I wish I were you :( I am 28 and want to open a cupcake cafe. No idea how many years I need to wait to become an expert at doing cakes!!!

Cakepro Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 12

Enjoy being 28!!  I was a stay-at-home mom, and doing cakes plus being a Wilton instructor for 16 years kept me sane! My children are now 18, 20, and 21.  I opened a bakery with a "friend" several years ago but that didn't work out...not only would I never recommend opening a business with a friend (unless you would actually marry them), but I wouldn't recommend doing it while having kids to raise.  My kids were all in high school at that time and I missed most of my middle child's football games (they all seem to be on Friday nights - which are cake nights) and I nearly missed seeing my daughter get ready for prom.  

Hubby and I recently re-opened the bakery on our own - and since he and I have been married for 23 years, I am pretty sure the partnership won't take a nosedive. LOL  And I get to decide when to close the shop for family things - like two Saturdays ago, when our oldest child graduated from college with her first degree.

You don't need to be an expert - you just need to have the passion for it and make sure the time is right in your life to take on opening your own business.  Always put family first - so timing is everything!  And your experience will grow by leaps and bounds once you're doing it 100 hours a week.  :D

Ceyda Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 12

AYou made me reconsider again my business plans bc I have a 5 months old son! I think first thing to do is decorating many cakes until I would be able to run a cake business. Thank you! it was like talking to an older sister. Hope you would help me on my cake decorating journey ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%