Ugh! How To Use Up 50Lbs Of Grainy Ps?

Decorating By vgcea Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 5:22pm by Annabakescakes

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 8:13pm
post #31 of 35

Ai got some cheap granulated sugar from restaurant depot that was made in Mexico. It was so coarse! It made the best butter cookies, so tender and just out of this world. I was eating them like chips, I think I gained 15 pounds that week. I admit that I would be horrified if I had the powdered sugar equivalent! Not in my icing, thankyouverymuch!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 9:55pm
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

Sorry that I am answering this late...I was offline due to the flu.

If I read the first post correctly, most of your stuff did NOT pass through the sieve.  So sieve this junk, and discard the powder that passes..because it will have all the cornstarch. 

Then you can verify that you have granulated sugar by simply dissolving a teaspoonful in a glass of warm water.  If it makes a clear solution, you have no starch. That's the old Aussie test for cornstarch in powdered sugar.

The more I think about this, the more I think that the factory simply mixed granulated sugar with cornstarch.  It reminds me of the days when I had to figure out if raw honey had been contaminated by sugar by a farmer who was less of a beekeeper than he should.  And YES it did happen, the sugar crystals remained visible under low magnification.

Awww, I'm sorry to hear you were sick. I hope you feel better.

The sugar passed through the sieve, the granules were small enough for that but just too big for something like fondant or gumpaste where even the tiniest amount of grainy-ness would be emphasized. Yeah, I definitely think they mixed granulated sugar and corn starch. Which is kinda stupid in my opinion for something labeled POWDERED sugar. Like who's making these decisions at that company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46 

Having lived in Mexico for the last 44 years, I can tell you there are plenty of products you can trust here, Cakepro. 10X is 10X here, there and everywhere. I'll bet the bag didn't say 10X on it. I've bought 10X sugar here for years (by the kilo at my cake supply store, so I'm not sure what brand it is), but if the bag doesn't say 10X, it probably isn't.

I agree with the posters who said to use what you had as regular sugar (by weight) factoring in the cornstarch content. Of course, since you were able to exchange it for what you wanted, this is now a moot question!

The manager gave me a new bag so i still have the old sugar sitting around here looking at me. LOL. My bag said 10X. I initially thought it was just a mislabeled bag, but seeing as Cakepro also had the same issue, they must just be mixing granulated sugar and cornstarch not realizing that the uses for powdered sugar require it to be, well, powdered. Probably no caker working in that factory. I wouldn't say all PS products from Mexico are crap, maybe just this company giving others a bad name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

i got some cheap granulated sugar from restaurant depot that was made in Mexico. It was so coarse! It made the best butter cookies, so tender and just out of this world. I was eating them like chips, I think I gained 15 pounds that week. I admit that I would be horrified if I had the powdered sugar equivalent! Not in my icing, thankyouverymuch!

This made me LOL!

johannap_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannap_73 Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 6:51am
post #33 of 35

well the 100% cane sugar is a joke for starters...look in the ingredients list if it was 100% cane sugar there would be nothing else in the ingredients list apart from the sugar...so technically they stuffed up to begin with, with their packaging, as the ingredients list says corn starch.....here in australia we have 2 varieties of this type of sugar that cake makers use it is either soft icing mixture which has a lot of corn starch in it and that is what makes it smooth and no lumpy bits or we have pure icing sugar this is 100% sugar that is ground to a fine powder and this is what we make our fondant and gum paste out of.....i think it is weird using any that has starch in it as when i went to a decorating class i was told that you never use anything on your board when rolling out fondant that goes onto a fruit cake as the cornstarch has a reaction with the fruit and alcohol, giving you not such a nice cake...so i have only ever used pure icing sugar for all my cake decorating needs...i just use a bit of corn starch on my board for rolling our petal pastr( gum paste) and that is it.......good luck

and man i wish i could find a big bag of the stuff instead of 500g bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro 

With all due respect, Marianna, I'm not an idiot...besides the fact that I've been doing this for 16 years and clearly know the differences between the different grades of powdered sugar, I also can read.  

Here's the bag of inferior crap that will go back to Restaurant Depot the next time I make a run there. I'm sticking with Domino's from here on out.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 9:44am
post #34 of 35

AThe bag says, "Say when and where and we'll have it there."

How about: Now and in the trash? Cos ultimately that's where the PS went.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 5:22pm
post #35 of 35

A

Original message sent by vgcea

The bag says, "Say when and where and we'll have it there."

How about: Now and in the trash? Cos ultimately that's where the PS went.

Lol! I lugged my grainy granulated in the house and we just used it, with extra stirring. If it was powdered, we couldn't have done that, due to the corn starch. I guess we live and learn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%