Suggestions For Best Fondant Rolling Pin?

Decorating By tsal Updated 27 Dec 2012 , 11:35pm by -K8memphis

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

Colette Peters was nice enough to respond to a question I had regarding the rolling pin she was using in her Craftsy class. I am looking for a new one since I had to finally throw out my ancient one.  She said that she likes silicone rolling pins (I Googled it and I think she uses the yellow Wilton one).

Is there a popular concensus here in regards to rolling pins?  Is silicone the way to go?  In the meantime I am using the white Wilton one but I hate it.  It doesn't have handles and I find it awkward to use so I'm looking for something better.

Thanks!

4 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 5

I saw someone used a large diameter pvc pipe...

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 5

I haven't seen the one Colette Peters uses, but I do have several pins, wooden and silicone. My favorite, by far, is the large 2 1/2" or 3" diameter aluminum one recommended by Sharon Zambito. Being aluminum, it is fairly lightweight, but the handles make rolling out fondant an easy task. It was well worth the money.

Jan

Fondtmx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fondtmx Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 5

i will say Silicone or PVC pipe 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 5

I  used a short fat heavy marble one at work for fondant--I was very surprised that I loved it. I have My Mom's wooden one that I love--I especially like rolling pins with handles and nice ball bearings so they roll nice. The french pins are more difficult for me. I have a long pretty green silicone one that I love.

True story--Dinstuhl's candy has a famous cashew crunch they have made for probably 100 years. They thought they'd get all spiffed up and switched to a state of the art giant really long big momma rolling pin--y'know how they make big candy batches on a big table top--well they had to switch back to their old trusty wooden pin because the new one made the candy taste funny.

But to me the heavier the better so the pin can do the work for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%