What The Heck Is Wrong With This Recipe...

Baking By sfandm Updated 30 Dec 2012 , 3:06pm by sfandm

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 9

Acarrot Cake (I made cupcakes) with it.

I halved the recipe, and turned down my heat due to dark pans, and still they are flat and oozed up and over the liners. What the heck is wrong????

recipe I used

4 eggs 1 1/4 cups oil 2 cups sugar 2 teas. Vanilla 2 cups flour 2 teas. Soda 2 teas. Bak. Powder 1/2 teas. Salt 2 teas. Cinnamon 3 cups grated carrots 1 cup chopped pecans

remember I halved the recipe and it states to bake at 350 but I baked at 325 because of my dark pan. I don't get it. I have made it three times now and the same result every time.

Please help if you can... Thanks in advance.

8 replies
dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 9

My recipe that starts with 4 eggs has only 1 C. oil and 1 3/4 C.  sugar but I can't see how those differences would make that much difference.  How do you grate your carrots?  My ex-ml would put the carrots in the blender and then cover with water, process,  then strain them.  That for sure could add too much liquid. 

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 9

My very un expert opinion is too much liquid.  I base that thought on a carrot cake recipe I just made last night.  It had just 2/3 cup of liquid due to the carrots and crushed pineapple adding moisture.  No oil either, just 8 oz of sour cream.   I added 1/2 tsp of baking powder. 

Do you think they rose up too much with 2 tsp baking powder and then oozed out due to lack of height (plus too much liquid?)

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 12:25am
post #4 of 9

It has way too much leavening in it. In a cake for 2 cups worth of flour and 3 eggs, you'd normally need about 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp. soda. Eggs are gods natural leaveners and you've got 1 extra egg, plus too much man made leaveners.

When cake batter bubbles up over the liners and remains flat/level it's a dead give away to too much leavening, ALWAYS! As opposed to too much batter, that still rises, as it over flows the pan.

Dark pans make items cook faster as if you've turned up the temp. in your oven. You'll get crispy edges with them, but not flat cakes.

HTH......

Manoleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manoleta Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 9

AMaybe u shud try making full recipe once cuz the recipe might not be perfect

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 9

Stiches, you are right, I just re-read my recipe and it has only 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp baking powder.  That could make a REAL difference.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

Hey Chasey, Do you mind sharing your recipe. It sounds like something I would love to make. I love the fact that it has sour cream and crushed pineapple/Thanks/Mary

Sure!  It's moist and has a nice tang to it with the sour cream and pineapple.  I combined a couple of recipes.

Chasey's Carrot Cake

1 carrot cake box mix (the one I had on hand was 18 oz and DH)

1 cup of flour (sifted)

1 scant cup of white sugar

3 whole eggs

1 can (8 oz) of crushed pineapple with the liquid reserved

1 small baby food jar of carrots

2/3 cup of pineapple juice pressed from the can plus enough water to equal 2/3 cup total liquid

1 cup of sour cream

1 tsp of vanilla

1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice mix

1/2 tsp baking powder

I iced it with what I call Sunshine Cream Cheese Frosting.  It has a slight citrus taste added to the tang of the cream cheese.

1 softened 8 oz pkg of cream cheese

1/2 stick of butter softened

almost a 2 lb bag of powdered sugar

2 drops of orange emulsion

1 drop of lemon extract

a few tablespoons of milk to reach desired consistency

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee 

Stiches, you are right, I just re-read my recipe and it has only 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp baking powder.  That could make a REAL difference.

Woo Hoo, it's nice when you help someone and they acknowledge it! Thank-you!

Don't be shocked it that's still too much leavening....it could be.

Another tip: Remember baking soda is about 4 times stronger then baking powder..........so often a recipe might have something like 1 tsp. power and only 1/4 tsp. soda. Powder is used to counter balance a recipe when there is alot of acid in the recipe. Like if your carrot cake had crushed pineapple, sour cream or buttermilk in it, you'd need the powder to help the soda balance the acid. But since your carrot cake recipe doesn't have any of those acids you might not even need the powder.hth.

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 30 Dec 2012 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 9

OK, I am finally able to answer this thread. I have printed off all responses and will try the recipe again using all the suggestions provided. I made this recipe twice before, and used the whole recipe, the result was the same. I have an oven thermometer that I use all the time, and have turned down my oven by 25 degrees for everything I make, as all I have are dark pans. I also always squeeze out all the pineapple juice and let the pineapple sit in a strainer for 20 minutes before adding it. I figured that maybe there was still too much liquid, and too many eggs. I am also going to try the recipe, but seeing as how I don't use box mixes, I will have to call my mom to get her carrot cake recipe. I also like the idea of using sour cream in the recipe. The strange thing is, when I make this recipe, the batter is always thick, almost like a brownie recipe.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Will keep you updated.

Have a great Sunday, and Happy New Year!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%