What Cutter For These Flowers?

Decorating By sixbittersweets Updated 27 Dec 2012 , 4:44am by sixbittersweets

sixbittersweets Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

I'm in love with these magnolia-esque flowers, but haven't been able to find petal cutters like this under that name.  Does anyone know which cutters/technique are used to make these crisp, elegant petals?  Thanks!





4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 2:37am
post #2 of 5

I would make that flower with a rose cutter. I'd roll my gum paste on the thicker side and then after the cut I'd roll it thinner to elongate it then do the rest, the thinning on the edges and a bit of a ruffling on some and they are bowled like a rose petal too, so rub the ball tool on them to make that cupped look and dry them a few minutes on spoons before assembling. I'd also fold it down the middle slightly after cupping. Even a five petal rose cutter would work, just cut them apart.

sixbittersweets Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 4:30am
post #3 of 5

Thanks!  Looks like they cut a slit at the center tip as well if it's not a special cutter...

FromScratchSF Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 4:36am
post #4 of 5

Those are very beautiful.  Looks like a rose cutter to me, only they turned the petals around.  Those pointy bits you'd normally have attached to the wire.  Just elongate a bit then notch out with another cutter or hand cut with small scissors at the tip.  At least that's what I'd do.  

sixbittersweets Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 4:44am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for input!  I will give that a try.  I'm also wondering if it might be a tulip cutter like the image below:


Btw, I've been using your white/yellow cake recipe ever since I tried it a few months ago.  Gorgeous flavor and much easier than my previous one that required whipping up 8 egg whites per batch.  Thanks so much for your awesomely scientific and detailed (yet oh so customizable) recipe =D!

Quote by @%username% on %date%