sugacakes721 Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 12:57am
post #1 of

hello everyone can someone help me, i make a lot of wedding cupcakes and im always throwing away egg yolks. can i use the store brought egg white, and how much do i use in place of 4 large egg white.

thank you for your time and information

12 replies
yortma Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 1:59am
post #2 of

3/4 cup equals 4 whites.  

cazza1 Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 2:01am
post #3 of

Make custard based ice-cream with your yolks.  You'll never want to buy it again.

cakegrandma Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 2:06am
post #4 of

I too got tired of wasting the yolks although many say that you can freeze them but I really never had luck with it.  I purchase qts of egg whites from Restaurant Depot but if you aren't licensed you can not belong unfortunately.  Wal Mart sells them and they are fairly reasonable. I use them for cakes, meringue icings as well as meringue cookies and pie meringue.

Good luck!

Dani1081 Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 3:58am
post #5 of

The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum  has a fabulous recipe for neoclassic buttercream, which is basically like IMBC, but it  uses egg yolks instead of the whites and it tastes wonderful!  I use alot of my yolks to make this - it freezes great and can be flavored just about any flavor you like. 

shanter Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 4:19am
post #6 of

I use the extra yolks for flan (creme caramel, caramel custard), lemon curd, yellow cakes, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=recupes+that+use+egg+yolks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=7G6&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&spell=1&q=recipes+that+use+egg+yolks&sa=X&ei=NMzbUPSvAYOnigKbjICIAw&ved=0CDEQvwUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE&fp=a7e118819f5e1e5b&bpcl=40096503&biw=1173&bih=550

sugacakes721 Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 4:58am
post #7 of

thank you all im going to try all your ideas, ill let u know how things turn out, happy new years to everyone, be safe if not for your self than for someone eles

Izzy Sweet Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 9:00pm
post #8 of

I use mine for curds.

modthyrth Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 10:24pm
post #9 of

My family's doboshtorte recipe is going to be my December contribution to the Best Friends for Frosting blog.   It uses a ton of yolks!  And is insanely rich and delicious.  I'm not sure which day they're going to post it, but it was styled as a New year's post, so really, any time now.

kakeladi Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 2:49am

I believe somewhere on this site there is a recipe for 12 yolk cookies :)  If not, I know it is on the internet somewhere as I have posted it in the past.

Feed them to the dog &/or cat

travmand Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 6:27pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi 

I believe somewhere on this site there is a recipe for 12 yolk cookies :)  If not, I know it is on the internet somewhere as I have posted it in the past.

Feed them to the dog &/or cat

Yup...my dogs get mine too :)  

I think it's probably still cheaper to separate the yolks from the whites and throw them out...than to buy a carton of egg whites....isn't it?

pastryguy2011 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 9:28pm

you could always make hollandase sauce

Sassyzan Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 8:08pm

AMy yellow cake recipe (shirley corriher's recipe) calls for extra yolks. Everyone wants that and never white cake. Maybe we could trade whites for yolks! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%