Baking Supplies, Where Do You All Buy From?

Decorating By BCBakey Updated 26 Dec 2012 , 7:56pm by jason_kraft

BCBakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCBakey Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 5

I am just starting out and need to know the best place (and if possible least expensive) to purchase baking and decorating supplies. Do you all buy your flour, sugar, etc from Sams? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 5

I buy my sugar, Crisco, vegetable oil, McCormick's vanilla and almond extract from Sam's club.  I buy my cake mixes from Walmart unless they are on sale somewhere for less than $1.25 which is the price at Walmart.  I make MMF, but buy black, red and brown fondant online at sweetwise or fondant source.  If you buy things online, be sure to figure in the shipping and handling charges because it can make things MUCH more expensive.

BCBakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCBakey Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you! Can I ask why you use box mixes and not make your own? Isn't it more expensive to do that? Like I said, I'm brand-new to all of this and want to be as budget friendly as possible without comprimising quality.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 5

I use boxed mixes because people love them.  I used the WASC recipe in the beginning and got complaints about the cake being dry (even after using a syrup on the cakes) and too dense.  No more - boxed mixes bake perfectly every time, light and fluffy,  and I've NEVER had a single complaint. I even use them for my carved cakes - cars, trucks, handbags, etc.  I sell what people like and want to buy - it's financially smart.   

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 5

ADo you buy in bulk (i.e. 25-50# bags of ingredients)? If so you'll want to check out your local restaurant supply store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%