I am so confused about when and when not to use highlighters. Everywhere I turn, the descriptions and info about use say they are not edible/should not be eaten and should only be used on decorations that will NOT be eaten. Yet, I see them used on piping and fondant and royal icing accents that clearly will be eaten. I fail to believe piping and trim painted with highlighters are scraped and picked off before eating.
I want to use highlighters on piping because it gives the most realistic metalic look. So, what do I do?
There are edible products available now.
I happily sacrifice the most realistic look for safety. That's just me.
Yes, lots of people use it because they don't care and they want to save a buck. I'm with K8, I use only edible made-for-food products on things that will be eaten, and I don't care how much the extra cost is. I just did a cake that was covered in silver glitter platinum dust, edible silver leaf, and isomalt gems. It would have been much cheaper and much more cost effective for me to use fake rhinestones, pearl dust and silver highlighter. But I'm stubborn like that.
One of my students insisted that her glitzy non-toxic cupcakes were totally safe to eat. It's unfortunate, but many people think that non-toxic means edible.
I see many cakers do this and I too fell that it is to save money on the item they are decorating. Just because it says non-toxic and someone eats some of the "non-toxic" items they may not have a problem. However, another person at the same event may get seriously ill. I would stick with the items that are truely edible.
Thank you, everyone. I have stayed away from highlighters for the very reasons you all state about edible versus non-toxic. I want as many edible decorations as possible and, in my opinion, piping and accent decorations should not have to be pulled off to eat the cake. A lot of the fun of a fancy cake is eating the decorations. Besides, I know that even if advised to do so, many people will not remove them. Case in point - silver dragees.