What Could This Be On My Fingers!?

Lounge By tykesmommy Updated 27 Dec 2012 , 1:57pm by yortma

tykesmommy Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 32


About a week before thanksgiving, my fingers got really cracked and now, it looks like that! I have no clue what it is. I've put antibiotic ointment, anti fungal, and psoriasis cream with no luck. It will heal a good bit then start itching like the devil and crack open again. When I bend my fingers all the way to the closed position, my skin feels very tight and like its ripping open. Any clue what it could be?

31 replies
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 32

I don't know. I hope it ain't these because of the arthritis involved




But I mean once the swelling goes down the bumps don't hurt I'm told.

But that's exactly how my fingers look/ed.


(My other doc said it was because I bit my nails I coulda strangled her.



They are permanent but they calm down at some point.


I hope it's just a weird rash that will disappear for you.

jgifford Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 32

It looks like the bumps I used to get.  It's a form of eczema and it's caused initially by dry skin, but then stress or cold or fatigue will bring on an outbreak.  And the itching will drive you right out of your mind!


You probably wash your hands a lot doing cakes and if you don't put lotion on immediately, they dry out.  The only way I was able to get rid of it was by carrying a tube of cortisone cream around with me.  Every time I thought about it - like every 15-20 minutes - I'd rub some on.  I finally got rid of it, but occasionally I still get a bump or two.


It's not contagious and it's not fatal but it looks awful. Just wear gloves and keep lots of lotion on it. HTH

tykesmommy Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 32

AI'm about ready to cut my dagum hand off!

MsGF Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 32

Might be eczema.  That was my first thought.   Scroll through these pics from Google. Some look similar to your fingers.




Good luck with it.  Looks uncomfortable.


Happy Holidays

-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 32

Now mine didn't itch so much and it didn't crack open there. My thumbs cracked forever right where you use them the most. So anyway this stuff http://www.qvc.com/T.I.P.S.-Nail-Conditioning-&-Strengthening-Kit-Search-Results.product.A107349.html?sc=A107349-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-1-_-A107349&catentryImage=http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/a/49/a107349.001?$uslarge$ was the only product that I tried that healed the cracking.


It is made from something that heels cracks in horse's hooves and it has worked so well for  the cracking.


It's pricey and me and a friend bought it years ago and split the order. It lasts and lasts.


I hope you find something that works for you and you're feeling better soon!!!!

tykesmommy Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 32

AI feel like everybody is looking at my hands if I'm out anywhere even though I know they're not. It's awful!! Thanks for the info!

Sara22 Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 32

My fingers look just like that. My doctor said it was eczema from washing my hands too much. They gave me some ointment for it but it's been 3 months and not getting any better :(.. the doctors says to stop washing my hands but with 4 young kids I can't. I know how you feel about everyone looking at your hands, I dread paying with my credit card and having to sign, when I pass the pen back the cashier acts like they're going to catch the plague.

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 32

AI'm the same way with taking a pen from someone with sores. Its nothing personal, it's self preservation, a natural instinct that has helped the human race survive extinction over a millennium! That being said, get some white cloth gloves, like ladies wore last century, and a tube of nipple ointment, Lansino, I think. Its pure hospital grade lanolin. Get your hands all slimy with it, then put your gloves on and go to bed. Put the lanolin on every time you wash.

Godot Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 32

Good grief - go to the doctor and get a PROFESSIONAL medical diagnosis! Your doctor can the give you a prescription for the PROPER medication/ointment. Stop trying to self-medicate.


Personally, I think it looks like tinea pedis - and I'd tell you to keep the pen! But everyone here has an opinion on what it can be - and, as you can see, there are as many different opinions as responses to your post.

cazza1 Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 1:51am
post #11 of 32

I agree with Godot.  Having worked in hospitals for years I find it ludicrous that people will try and diagnose others from a picture.  Sometimes the problem can be from several different causes but still have the same or similar appearance.  If it doesn't clear up see a doctor.

tykesmommy Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 2:57am
post #12 of 32

AVery true cazza. My sister has been a nurse for right at 20 years and she's the one that has recommended all of the treatment this far. I wasn't asking for a definite diagnosis. Just maybe an idea that we haven't thought of yet. Thanks everyone that has tried to help. I'm going go see if I can find my nipple cream now to try. :)

remnant3333 Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 32

You need to tell your doctor that you want to see a dermatologist who can diagnose the problem quicker than your regular doctor.  Years ago when I was in a store, my son had this stamper with ink and he walks up to me while I am shopping and put the stamper with ink on my arm. From that day on I had a rash. My sister had something that had bacterial and fungus killer that was prescription (can't remember name as it was maybe 10 years ago)which got rid of it but it was summertime so when I went out in the heat it would come back. I went to my doctor and she refused to give me the same prescription stuff my sister had because I had written it down to give the doctor but the doctor gave me cortisone instead which did not help me at all. It used to itch and itch. So the rash never went away.   So my mom who had been in the hospital about 8 months later had broken out in a rash due to being allergic to something they gave her while in hospital.  They gave her the same stuff my sister had.  After getting out of hospital she still had one tube she had never used so she gave it to me. I rubbed it on my rash and it was during winter by then.  My rash disappeared and never came back. I was so thankful to be rid of it!!!  I know mine was due to some kind of allergic reaction to my son stamping me or to the ink in the stamper.  But anyway you should try to get an appointment with dermatologist instead of suffering.  Good luck/Mary

vgcea Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 32

ATrying a bunch of different things might aggravate the problem. I suggest you go see a professional. Unless your sister is an APRN she has no business 'recommending' any meds.

cakegrandma Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 12:10am
post #15 of 32

You should really see an allergist. I think there may be something you use that you are allergic.  I went to a dermatologist as I kept scratching myself so much and she said I should see an allergist, however, she did give me a medicine to use in the meantime.  Well it didn't work and after I saw the allergist and finding out what I was allergic to (tomatoes, etc, a whole list of stuff) My point is, I am allergic to Budesonide, in sooooo many things.  Medicine, make up, lotions whatever and many don't list it.  After not eating and using things I was allergic to and of course taking Ceterizine every day I don't itch aor have ugly places on my skin.


Annabakescakes Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 3:45am
post #16 of 32

AI for one, hate to go to the dr. They never know what is wrong, give prescriptions that do nothing, and want you back in for no reason after your problems clear up on their own. We have an HSA and our out of pocket for the visit is $120, and the prescription is $12-50. I had a shot last spring that was $13, and the nurse giving it to me cost $68! It literally took her 15 seconds. And I had a bruise that hurt like he!! and turned my whole a$$ purple. And that was in addition to the visit. I won't even go into the long wait in the waiting room, and the long wait in the examination room and the long wait for the prescription.... I'd try a 500 year old witch's potion made from cat pee, eye of newt and salamander tail, before going to the dr, if someone's sister's cousin's aunt's uncle's baby mama's granddaddy's second wife gave it to me. And that's after I try everything from medicine cabinet, and under the sink.

tykesmommy Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 4:07am
post #17 of 32

AAnna, you're hilarious!! I'm the same way tho. Unfortunately, I haven't went to the doctor, because I don't have insurance and if my fingers aren't going to shrivel up and fall off, I don't really want to go and waste money on someone telling me "I don't know what it is."

mskerrih Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 5:27am
post #18 of 32

AI have eczema and the only thing that helps my hands is to keep lotion on them. Vaseline intensive care. I've tried everything and its the only kind that works. When I get a rash I apply cortisone at nite. U don't wanna use too much cortisone because its a topical steroid

Godot Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 6:28am
post #19 of 32

AYup. All doctors - every last one everywhere in the world - are stupid, ignorant, greedy time-wasters - not to mention check-bouncers, bad drivers, line-cutters, speeders, grave plunderers, suicide bombers, smokers, lawn ornament thieves, AND they all steal candy from babies. All doctors, everywhere, always.

So, self-medicate away. Pack those ugly, oozing fingers in fresh rhino dung and tar. I'm sure your disease/allergy/infection/fungus will be cured in a matter of hours.

Evoir Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 9:47am
post #20 of 32


I too would recommend a dermatologist's opinion. As you are working with food products, at the very least you would be harming your business by having scabby looking fingers, and at worst, contaminating ingredients.

When I worked as a PT, I'd be washing my hands over 50 times per shift. By using the hospital hand wash I developed contact dermatitis. The solution in my case (provided by the staff nurse) was to use a sorbolene cream as hand wash (in a pump dispenser). Liquid soaps are very drying, alcohol based hand cleaners (water free ones) dry skin out even more.

Please don't try things like cortisone creams without a diagnosis. The overuse of cortisone cream will further weaken the skin tissue. If its dermatitis this can actually create more problems.

Some things are not worth messing around with, your health is precious. Look after yourself.

cakefat Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 12:43pm
post #21 of 32

Just go to the dermatologist, whether or not you have insurance. honestly, why are you even questioning this?

I hope you're not making cakes without knowing what it is, that's pretty gross imo. 

tykesmommy Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 3:32pm
post #22 of 32


Original message sent by Godot

Yup. All doctors - every last one everywhere in the world - are stupid, ignorant, greedy time-wasters - not to mention check-bouncers, bad drivers, line-cutters, speeders, grave plunderers, suicide bombers, smokers, lawn ornament thieves, AND they all steal candy from babies. All doctors, everywhere, always. So, self-medicate away. Pack those ugly, oozing fingers in fresh rhino dung and tar. I'm sure your disease/allergy/infection/fungus will be cured in a matter of hours.

There's no need to be rude. And yes, the majority of doctors around here are idiots. I live in a tiny town that has 1 doctor and doctors that are close to where I live aren't much better. As a matter of fact, my husband had gotten poison oak or ivy (I don't remember) and they couldn't even tell him what that was.

tykesmommy Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 3:48pm
post #23 of 32
Originally Posted by cakefat 

Just go to the dermatologist, whether or not you have insurance. honestly, why are you even questioning this?

I hope you're not making cakes without knowing what it is, that's pretty gross imo. 

Anytime I make a cake, whether my fingers are healthy or not, I ALWAYS wear gloves.

BakingIrene Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 4:37pm
post #24 of 32

If you can't get in to see a doctor, ask to see the nurse practitioner.  They do a whole lot better at listening, and they can write the simple prescriptions, and you usually get in to see them the same day you call.


To my eyes, this looks like chemical burns.  If this came from using commercial fondant, then you have a severe allergy to one or more of the ingredients--probably the commercial preservatives.


In any case NOBODY should ever handle food without wearing food-safe gloves.  I use the vinyl ones because I can't tolerate the latex. I plaster my hands with unscented hand lotion before I do an hour's session with the gloves on, and my hands stay very well conditioned. No drying, no cracking, no red areas.

jason_kraft Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 4:47pm
post #25 of 32

AI've had very positive experiences with doctors...if there's a medical issue I usually do research on it beforehand so the visit is an informed two-way discussion. It helps to have a PPO plan instead of an HMO plan so you don't need referrals for specialists, I go by patient ratings on healthgrades.com.

FromScratchSF Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 6:57pm
post #26 of 32

Be nice everyone - please no more disrespect to the medical profession and stay on topic about the OP's specific problem.

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 11:54pm
post #27 of 32

AA good handwash that is non drying and very gentle is Cetaphil. They have many formulas for cleaning and moisturizing but are pretty pricy. If it is a reaction from soaps or cleaners I will help, but its a lifestyle type product, meaning you have to use it forever or risk it coming back.

And as far as Dr.s go, they are all just practicing. None of them know everything, not even the best if the best. I just don't have the money to spend for them to practice on me, I'd be happy to pay if I knee they could cure me.

jason_kraft Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 3:13am
post #28 of 32

AI have used Cetaphil for years (you can buy Cetaphil bars on Amazon for ~$3 each) based on a recommendation from my dermatologist, it really helps with eczema. If your doctor determines that it is eczema, Cetaphil can be a relatively cost-effective solution since it is OTC.

If you aren't happy with your local dermatologist it is worth it to find a better one even if it's a long drive. You only get one body.

tykesmommy Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 3:14am
post #29 of 32

AWe don't have a dermatologist around here. I think the closest one is about 2 hours away. Thanks for the advice guys!

Annabakescakes Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 4:01am
post #30 of 32

AOne more thing! If it dried and cracked first, it could be a fungus.. generic monostat 3 or 7 could clear it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%