Joshua Russell On Craftsy?

Decorating By ThorntonCakes Updated 26 Dec 2012 , 2:37am by costumeczar

ThorntonCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThorntonCakes Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 8

ASo I found craftsy through this site like many others, I watched Joshua Russell's Into to Modern Buttercream which is available for anyone. I have to say Im honestly not impressed with what I saw, but I continued on. After watching some more I went to make his buttercream. Keep in mind I have been doing this for almost 7 years alone, ( I know others have more years on me but 7 years is a long time!) This buttercream turned into a Kool whip, very light a fluffy. My mother and fiancé who have tested everything i've ever put together said they liked my personal recipe much better and that it had no flavor!! But I proceeded on, I had my tiers prepped and ready for a crumb coat. I kid you not this icing virtually melted on the cake right in front of me! I was flabbergasted!!! My cakes had cooled in the fridge for almost 2 hours so it was at the right temperature. Joshua said there was no wait time to let the buttercream set. Your supposed to make it and BAM! decorate that cake!! Needless to say this was not necessarily a disaster but a huge set back, I ended up throwing the buttercream away and using my personal recipe. Im just flabbergasted that a celebrity cake decorators recipe was a complete flop! To me thats unheard of! I do not live in a warm climate at all. I live in Wisconsin lol and its the middle of winter and my home is not warm. I can't figure it out. I found myself making batch after batch of his recipe and I just don't get it. Im worried to buy any other class by him because I wasn't initially impressed with what he was saying or explaining and then the buttercream. Sheesh!! Maybe I just don't personally prefer him? Im Not quite sure yet lol. What are you thoughts?

7 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 8

AI never watched the freebie classes. I figured even though I don't make cakes, I've been reading CC for 5 years so I knew everything in Joshua's buttercream free class. I also mostly use IMBC.

I own all the the food and cake classes at craftsy, except for two. I don't have time to try the projects but I have to say I've learned new things from each of those instructors. I know Joshua won't answer the questions on the free class, but when you pay for a class, they're obligated to answer your questions if they're related to the class. His Modern Piping class is great. I'm actually amazed that for so little money you get structured learning all in one place.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 8

I enjoyed the free buttercream video and learned a few things.  Nothing earth shattering just new twists on the way I had been doing things.  I didn’t try his buttercream recipe mainly because I’m happy with the one I’ve been using.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 8

I have his "Modern Piping" and "Fashion inspired", and I love them!  I picked up so many tips.  I can also go back and re-watch, if I forget how to do something.  For the price, you can't beat them.  icon_biggrin.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 8

I used his recipe but added all 6 sticks of butter when it really needed only four (he says in the video that the amount may vary from 4-6 sticks due to temperature/humidity/etc.).  The icing was very stable though and was easy to work with (just tasted too buttery).  Next time I will only use 4 sticks.

I think he's a great teacher!

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 8

I loved the class. I learn a few useful tips! I also have modern piping. I learned alot from that class. I will admit though i was hoping for a little more but for $20 bucks its definitely a great video. 

ThorntonCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThorntonCakes Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 8

AI don't think hes a bad teacher either, I just perfected my personal recipie and maybe thats just what im used to? Im not sure I also have learned from Master Cake Decorator Elaine MacGregor I think she is truely amazing. Maybe the fact that I've followed her for so long makes it harder to start watching someone else? Im not sure.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 2:37am
post #8 of 8

There's nothing wrong with the recipe, but you should go ahead and use all of the butter regardless. There CAN be something wrong with how you make the buttercream...If it isn't emulsified correcty it might not hold togehter, but that would be weird. If the icing that you made was like cool whip you probably didn't have enough butter in it, which would make it unstable and that would explain the melting. It would have been mainly meringue, and that would melt.

I don't make Swiss meringue, but I use Italian meringue all the time and I never have a problem with it. I don't adjust the butter in it, though, the ratio is 5 egg whites to 1 pound of butter, which should be about what the Swiss buttercream is too. Adding confectioner's sugar to it makes it not "really" a meringue buttercream, though, it's kind of a hybrid.

Try it again and use 5 egg whites, 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1 pound butter. If you think that's too soft add one more stick of butter. I've seen it from 4 to 6 sticks of butter.

When I make Italian meringue it's 1 cup sugar, 5 egg whites and 1 pound butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%