I Was Asked To Make A 3-Tier Cake - Half Black, Half Blue Or Red

Decorating By desertm Updated 26 Dec 2012 , 2:48am by costumeczar

desertm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desertm Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 7

I have searched the web for examples of such cake, without success. Has anyone ever made a cake like this? Any ideas how to approach it?: cover each half separately, use an airbrush?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2012 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 7

There'd be a number of different ways.

One way is to use buttercream and first pipe the join where the two colors meet first and get it smooothy smooth then continue piping to cover the cakes or apply the rest with a spatula and then smooth. Because you get the best chance to keep that two color edge clean and even. I'd use an open coupler to pipe it.

Or apply fondant on each half overlapping the join slightly and then take scissors and cut through both colors and then remove the excess and snoothy smooth ithe seam down pretty.

I'm assuming you want the seam to be all smooth and seamless in appearance. If not just apply whatever icing and pipe over the seam or apply pearls there or whatever you'd like to cover it.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 24 Dec 2012 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 7

You were asked to make a black and blue cake??

Maybe you need to explain the significance of this to the couple getting married? That they should avoid this theme?

desertm Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 11:59am
post #4 of 7

Well, I did not explain myself enough - this is not a wedding cake, but a his and hers birthday cake when their respective birthdays are just one day apart!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry--I was using a library PC and was getting close to the early closing time.  I have now reconfigured my new PC at home and can read at leisure.

I would advise the customers to stick to pale blue if possible, or else a cake covered in white with blue and black trims.  That comes across as being more appetizing.  Not to mention, easier for you to put together.

If you have to cover in two colours, then you cover about 3/4 of both sides with a complete overlap.  Then  you take a craft knife and gently cut through both layers so that the seams butt perfectly.

Or you could airbrush, using a mask to prevent spatters.

desertm Posted 25 Dec 2012 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions. I will do my best to convince the client to work on a different idea. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 2:48am
post #7 of 7

I'd use two colors of fondant, because that much food coloring of black and blue is going to be nasty to eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%